First try at photography

68Wreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a camera yesterday on a whim. Don't have a macro lense yet but looking forward to figuring this all out as I've never used a camera not on my phone. Here are my first attempts:)

(well I also a couple hundred bad photos)

20201018160704_IMG_2672.jpg
20201018161123_IMG_2773.jpg

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start,
Suggest to check out photo threads on the forum, get to see interesting composition, different framing....
Also do read the photography articles in the stickies part of the photography forum for a basic explanation of aquarium photography basics like white balance, aperture and ******* speed....
Do post pictures so others can advise on things to improve.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First step...turn down those blue lights before shooting! Then adjust you
white balance to take out even more blue until your corals look like they do to your naked eye.

if you want to play around with macro shots with out the big expense, look into extension tubes. They’re cheap and for me, good enough. I’m sure real photographers would cringe at that suggestion, but I’m salisfied with my shots with them. Yes, an $800 macro lens would take better pics.

There are people here that take way better photos than me, but I just leaned be trial and error taking thousands of pics.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great photos!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which camera did you get?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty good for first attempts!
Definitely check out the photography forum as mentioned above.
And to get the most out of that camera, learn how to use the manual controls, especially your white balance settings.
You can also experiment with shooting through some colored filters to help filter out the excess blues.

When you are ready for a macro lens, I always recommend the Tamron 90mm, available for canon and nikon. Best value in a macro IMO. :cool:

OP
OP
68Wreefer

68Wreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which camera did you get?
I got a cannon rebel t6. Like I said I don't really know anything about photography but I got an opportunity to get one really cheep so I figured "what the heck. Why not?". Is this at least a half decent camera? I read it's a good beginners camera but will be outgrown very fast. Obviously the articles I was looking at weren't geared towards coral photography though. Any thoughts on this specific camera if you know anything about it?

OP
OP
68Wreefer

68Wreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First step...turn down those blue lights before shooting! Then adjust you
white balance to take out even more blue until your corals look like they do to your naked eye.

if you want to play around with macro shots with out the big expense, look into extension tubes. They’re cheap and for me, good enough. I’m sure real photographers would cringe at that suggestion, but I’m salisfied with my shots with them. Yes, an $800 macro lens would take better pics.

There are people here that take way better photos than me, but I just leaned be trial and error taking thousands of pics.
I'll definitely have to look into those extension tubes! I appreciate the advice.

OP
OP
68Wreefer

68Wreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back