Fish and coral choices

vikkid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the saltwater hobby(been keeping freshwater for >2 yrs) and stuck deciding the right size tank for my needs. I think the primary factor for me will be based on the flexibility each size offers in terms of the type of fish that I can keep. However, I don't want to go over 65 gallons for the tank.

I am considering between a 40gal long(48*13*16), 40gal breeder(36*18*17) or 55gal(48*15*21).

In terms of the type of fish/corals each can keep, can you please give me a pros & cons of each? As an example, can any off the above sizes support the smaller tangs etc.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you the width of the 40 breeder is better than the other two options listed and as far as tangs go i wouldn’t do any smaller than 48” x 24” for tangs. So none of your tanks fit that bill so I would avoid until you can get a tank that size or better.

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the saltwater hobby(been keeping freshwater for >2 yrs) and stuck deciding the right size tank for my needs. I think the primary factor for me will be based on the flexibility each size offers in terms of the type of fish that I can keep. However, I don't want to go over 65 gallons for the tank.

I am considering between a 40gal long(48*13*16), 40gal breeder(36*18*17) or 55gal(48*15*21).

In terms of the type of fish/corals each can keep, can you please give me a pros & cons of each? As an example, can any off the above sizes support the smaller tangs etc.
Personally, 55gal if you have the space for it. I have a 40 breeder and wish I went bigger but I unfortunately did not have the room.

I have an LPS dominant tank. Torches, hammers, and frogspawns with a few Zoas and Gonis.

As far as fish, I have a purple tang, niger trigger, yellow coris wrasse, and a melanurus wrasse. Tangs will eventually outgrow any of those sizes you mentioned, and you will need to re-home. You can definitely have them for a few years though!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For salt the biggest you can get is the best! However I would not put a tang in anything under 70 gallons (and even that as a temporary tank in my opinion) due to how much they swim

OP
OP
V

vikkid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it. No tangs at all the sizes listed above. What other fish and "easy corals" can the 55gal support that the 40 can't? In other words-
A. Does the 4' long profile of the 40 long provide any benefits over the 3'long (but wider) 40 breeder(in terms of the fish/coral they can support)?
B. Does going to the 55 allow me to keep a particular type of fish that I can't in the 40 gallons sizes?
C. The 55gal is more or less the same length & width as the 40 long, but has a greater height. Does this additional height translate to dinner benefit?

By the way, I'm planning to use a 15gal sump below, so these volumes are only the display volumes.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good place to look through fish is drreefsquarantinedfish.com

You can see pictures as well as tank size recommendations for each. You will get 10 different answers on here as to what goes where. Might be best to just get some first hand knowledge and just do what you think is best.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back