Fish options for 10gal

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I posted here a few months ago considering a 40gal reef but ultimately turned that tank into a mudskipper paludarium. Playing around with brackish got me itching for a proper marine setup. I'm breaking down one of my freshwater tanks and will be replacing it with a nano reef. I specifically want the challenge of a nano as my other tanks are mostly self-sustaining --- In other words, I won't be upgrading this tank.

I'm looking for 1-2 small fish I can house in this tank long-term. I've seen people say 3-4 can work with very small species, but I'm doubtful as I've also seen claims that 10gal is too small for any fish. I've seen people say smaller gobies and blennies can work. I really love tailspots but I can't find a consistent answer regarding tank size; some say 10 is fine while others say 20-30. I wouldn't mind an ocellaris clown but same goes for conflicting information. Ultimately, my only preferences are that it's a fish and it's reef-safe. I won't be stocking for a long time yet but want to know what my options are.

Thanks!

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon gobies, trimma gobies, eviota gobies, flaming prawn gobies, yasha gobies, rainford gobies, all easily fit in a 10-gallon. For the first three, you could even do groups.

Personally, I'd do a pair of neon gobies and a yasha/candy cane.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon gobies, trimma gobies, eviota gobies, flaming prawn gobies, yasha gobies, rainford gobies, all easily fit in a 10-gallon. For the first three, you could even do groups.

Personally, I'd do a pair of neon gobies and a yasha/candy cane.
Yasha gobies are beautiful but a little more pricey than I'm comfortable with for my first marine fish! Especially as I don't see them often in my LFS and don't like getting shipments if I can help it. I love neons too though, for sure considering those. All great suggestions!

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably do a single clown plus a Goby/pistol pair.
I'll have to keep researching this. I'd honestly be happy with just the clown, seen some breathtaking ones at my LFS lately... seems like the majority say a clown would be okay in a tank this size but I'm still concerned with the lack of consensus. If it's a matter of water quality, I'm not so worried about that if it just means some extra maintenance. But as this will be a long-term setup I don't want any risk of cramping them up.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kinda depends on what kind of tank you have. Is it an all in one? Or will it just have a hang on back? Depending on the dimensions as well as filtration that will sorta impact things.

But you can probably have a couple fish depending on what they are. A pistol shrimp/goby pair is perfect. Small gobies. Tailspot blenny. Clownfish are tricky in terms of tank size since they can get very large but often will stay in a territory. I’d say you could get a pair of small ones and you’d be fine. But I would definitely get them something for them to host at some point since they really do better in a small area when they have an anemone or coral they love since they’ll pretty much stay in that area even if they get large. But to play it safe since it’s long term maybe consider other options

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the tail spot would be perfect, such great personalitys.
Would I be better served keeping a single tailspot or could I get a tank mate or two? Either other species or another tailspot? From what I've read they can get a little bold towards tank mates and I'd worry about this in closer quarters

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kinda depends on what kind of tank you have. Is it an all in one? Or will it just have a hang on back? Depending on the dimensions as well as filtration that will sorta impact things.

But you can probably have a couple fish depending on what they are. A pistol shrimp/goby pair is perfect. Small gobies. Tailspot blenny. Clownfish are tricky in terms of tank size since they can get very large but often will stay in a territory. I’d say you could get a pair of small ones and you’d be fine. But I would definitely get them something for them to host at some point since they really do better in a small area when they have an anemone or coral they love since they’ll pretty much stay in that area even if they get large. But to play it safe since it’s long term maybe consider other options
Aquaclear 50, dimensions are 20.25" L x 10.50" W x 12.56" H. I'm familiar with clowns' hosting behavior and would certainly accommodate this. I feel like even an anomalously large ocellaris would fit this tank comfortably, and if they're okay solitary I would feel more comfortable with just one. The tank isn't even filled yet and my LFS was hellbent on selling me dry rock over live, so I expect it to be a while before I can stock. I figured that would give me time to learn about my options and adjust my filtration accordingly.

I hate to say it, but I'm just not jamming with a pistol/goby pair. They're awesome but I already keep mudskippers and axolotls so I'd honestly prefer something a little less benthic. I think the tailspot is my favorite option, beautiful and I love the more charismatic fish. Would I keep it individually or could I get a tank mate or two?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be better served keeping a single tailspot or could I get a tank mate or two? Either other species or another tailspot? From what I've read they can get a little bold towards tank mates and I'd worry about this in closer quarters
2 in a 10g is kinda pushing it but you could probably get away with another small fish with a low bio load. A lot of suggestions above. Look forward to seeing what you decide on.

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're set on the tailspot, you can go with that and then wait and see if anyhting else catches your eye. You'd rather have the clown be last in the tank anyway.

If you go with a clown, go with oscellaris.

Else, consider a court jester goby (captive bred), clown goby, possum wrasse, barnacle blenny, and cleaner shrimp.

I wouldn't be at all worried about bioload with two small fish.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire fish (red or purple), dottyback, yellow coral goby, neon goby, yellow tail damsel, blenny, Royal gramma.
Some of the above mentioned can be aggressive, so choose wisely if you want more than one fish. I would not put more than 2 fish in 10 G though. You could also add a shrimp, or an hermit or snails.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon gobies are one of my favorite fish. I have even had them breed in my tank. If you get a dominant male, he will beat on the other neons. I have them in my 40 gal. reef and the big guy is constantly attacking the others.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many great options here! Waiting to cycle will be no problem because I'll need the time just to decide what to stock haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back