fish and ick

Hifi Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, need some advice. My tank has been fine, haven't added any new fish (other than a few turbos), did a 25% water change 3 days ago. Water is perfect, zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, ph salienty everything fine. Yesterday my royal gramma got ick, now this morning my PJ cardinal has fish eye. I just dosed the tank with ick medication and gave the royal a fresh water dip. Ordered some apparent " reef safe antibiotics" for cardinal.

But any idea why this could happen? I find it odd 2 diseases 1 day apart :(

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pictures under white light and a video (linked through YouTube) to better disgnose.
I assume by fisheye you are referring to Popeye. Popeye is most commonly seen as a result of an injury, and not a direct symptom of ich. Though the two are typically unrelated, it’s possible the Cardinal flashed due to ich and hurt his eye, causing the popeye to occur.
The problem with reef safe meds is that they are usually administered at too low a dose to be effective, you you will need to treat in a separate qt tank.
All fish should be treated with copper and the tank should remain fishless for at least 60 days if it is indeed ich.

OP
OP
H

Hifi Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye, I know, unfortunately I don't have a QT yet, its on my list of things to do, my 125 is only 6 months active, but I have snails, emerald crabs and shrimp in the tank, can't do copper treatment :( Oh and yes, I meant pop eye, its popping out a bit and cloudy

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish do you have and what kind?
A qt can be as simple as a small tank with a hang on back filter and heater. Size really just depends on what is in there.
You can pull all inverts and put them in a separate tank (wouldn’t have to be as large as the fish qt) and do a hyposalinity treatment on the dt for ich.
The popeye would still be best treated in a separate qt though. It can be left alone and may or may not heal on its own.

OP
OP
H

Hifi Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently hippo tang, pair of clowns, 2 pj cardinal, fire fish, 7 chromes, 4 orange anthias, royal gramma, sand sifting goby, 2 emerald crabs, cleaner and peppermint shrimp, sand sifting star, dozen small hermits, 4 turbo's, 6 smaller snails. I was going to start to add coral's this weekend, but not if I have sick fish, don't think royal gramma will make it, she's lying on her side now gasping :crying-face: bunch of the ick fell off in the fresh water dip, but she's obviously not happy

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone, need some advice. My tank has been fine, haven't added any new fish (other than a few turbos), did a 25% water change 3 days ago. Water is perfect, zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, ph salienty everything fine. Yesterday my royal gramma got ick, now this morning my PJ cardinal has fish eye. I just dosed the tank with ick medication and gave the royal a fresh water dip. Ordered some apparent " reef safe antibiotics" for cardinal.

But any idea why this could happen? I find it odd 2 diseases 1 day apart :(

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
There has been an influx of weak bangaii cardinals and many starve due to improper diet which is frozen meaty foods. Know the issue Before administrating any medications and is where QT is valuable.
What ich medication did you use and do you see ich?
Can you provide pics under white lighting?

OP
OP
H

Hifi Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And than you for the replies, we all know the feeling of loosing a fish. Ive had the cardinals for 3-4 months no issues, been feeding them hikari brine shrimp.

ick medication, LFS was out and recommended that, got it same day delivery.

Having an issue uploading photos, but ya I see the ick, LFS agreed with me

bcorbin25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently hippo tang, pair of clowns, 2 pj cardinal, fire fish, 7 chromes, 4 orange anthias, royal gramma, sand sifting goby, 2 emerald crabs, cleaner and peppermint shrimp, sand sifting star, dozen small hermits, 4 turbo's, 6 smaller snails. I was going to start to add coral's this weekend, but not if I have sick fish, don't think royal gramma will make it, she's lying on her side now gasping :crying-face: bunch of the ick fell off in the fresh water dip, but she's obviously not happy
How do you do fresh water baths on your fish? What type water? And do you put something in the water?

bcorbin25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and my baby purple tang has white spots all over and some may look like velvet.. He is ashy but spotty. I bought him from Saltwater Fish on 11-01-23 arrived on 11-02-23. I have 3 clowns, and 2 mandarins in the tank with yellow tang baby and the purple tang baby.. doses 32 drops of Cupramine today.. removed filter and UV. Should I be really worried?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you do fresh water baths on your fish? What type water? And do you put something in the water?
A fw dip just needs to be straight tap water that is temperature matched to the tank, keep the fish in for 5 minutes and then put back in the tank.
Woke up this morning and my baby purple tang has white spots all over and some may look like velvet.. He is ashy but spotty. I bought him from Saltwater Fish on 11-01-23 arrived on 11-02-23. I have 3 clowns, and 2 mandarins in the tank with yellow tang baby and the purple tang baby.. doses 32 drops of Cupramine today.. removed filter and UV. Should I be really worried?
With velvet you will typically see fast breathing and swimming into the flow. Spots don’t show up till much later if at all, it could be ich you see. Don’t dose directly to the dt, rock and sand absorbs copper (making dosing difficult) and leaches it out at a later time (harming inverts later on). Keep in mind that copper kills pods, so you need to be on top of feeding the mandarin.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back