Fish and jet lag

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be a silly question but do fish suffer jet lag.

i picked up a newly imported yellow tailed tamarin wrasse (approx 10 days in the UK) and he’s been very happy in my reef for the past few days. However, he’s the first to go to bed even when the full spectrum lights are still on. He’s often gone to bed approx 1-1.5hrs before the lights reduce to blues. He’s then up every morning before the blues come back on so could just be an early bird.

It could just be that he likes an early night but none of my other fish have ever gone to bed whilst the full spectrum lights are on.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people recommend feeding closer to when he normally goes to sleep, to keep them out longer and they will learn that thats foodtime and stay out the next day for it. Its worked on several of my wrasses.

OP
OP
Marsh980

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people recommend feeding closer to when he normally goes to sleep, to keep them out longer and they will learn that thats foodtime and stay out the next day for it. Its worked on several of my wrasses.

Cheers, to be fair he’s out from when I get up at 7am till around 6pm. Actually that’s ok when I’m working from home on lockdown, but when I finally go back to the office I’ll barely see him.

As long as he’s happy I’m happy.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers, to be fair he’s out from when I get up at 7am till around 6pm. Actually that’s ok when I’m working from home on lockdown, but when I finally go back to the office I’ll barely see him.

As long as he’s happy I’m happy.
Good luck with him. Im in the UK too, and got a lined tamarin wrasse. Had him for a year before he succumbed to internal parasites as i had no way of getting prazi pro then, but i do now. So i recommend treating with prazipro in the DT if possible or if you have concerns about it. Hope he does well for you. I found my tamarin wrasse to be very intelligent lol.

OP
OP
Marsh980

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with him. Im in the UK too, and got a lined tamarin wrasse. Had him for a year before he succumbed to internal parasites as i had no way of getting prazi pro then, but i do now. So i recommend treating with prazipro in the DT if possible or if you have concerns about it. Hope he does well for you. I found my tamarin wrasse to be very intelligent lol.

what a shame, that’s such bad luck. It’s crazy how fish can be great one day and the next ill or even dead.

i agree, he’s such a great clever fish just picking at the rocks all days and playing with my blue streak cleaner wrasse.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a shame, that’s such bad luck. It’s crazy how fish can be great one day and the next ill or even dead.

i agree, he’s such a great clever fish just picking at the rocks all days and playing with my blue streak cleaner wrasse.
Aw thats cool. Mine always went to check out the powerheads after feeding to get leftovers lol. Much to his dismay one of my lyretails anthias caught onto this, and stole the food as he picked it off lol

OP
OP
Marsh980

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw thats cool. Mine always went to check out the powerheads after feeding to get leftovers lol. Much to his dismay one of my lyretails anthias caught onto this, and stole the food as he picked it off lol

I bet he was well pleased with that. I’ve recently just bought 5 lyretail Anthias, I’m just waiting to see which changes to a male.

My blue throat trigger loves my powerheads and acts like a child having loads of fun swimming into it and being blown back and then doing figure of eights around both. I have 2 MP40s on both sides approx 8” apart.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite common for newly imported fish to have their day/night reversed …. you just notice it more with wrasses that bury.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back