Fish are dying

zbat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to check on fish last night after getting home and my pair of clowns were laying on the sand bed gasping for oxygen. One passed away around 3am last night but the other is still fighting as on 1pm today. So what happened was that i purchased a tail spot blenny last week, he wasn’t eating and passed away, since he hid a lot i did not find him until Friday afternoon (Don’t know how long he was dead in the tank). We had the ammonia spike so i did a couple water changes to bring it back down. I don’t know what to do about this last clownfish because he’s still fighting for his life, but still on the bottom of he tank, gasping and trying to swim. Please help me find a way to help him, or if its too late.
C1C6EB94-B054-4FA3-A53D-76663EC47532.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed
Closeup shots under white light would help a lot.
It’s possible you have a dissolved oxygen problem, or that the blenny brought in an infection.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you put in an air stone and add some Seachem Prime or Polyfilter until we get a diagnosis. A quick killer parasite is velvet but without good pictures, no one can opine on the problem. Also, need to know age of tank.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you put in an air stone and add some Seachem Prime or Polyfilter until we get a diagnosis. A quick killer parasite is velvet but without good pictures, no one can opine on the problem. Also, need to know age of tank.
+1

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your glass need cleaning? Picture still not clear enough. Do you have Rally Pro or Hydroplex? In the event it is a parasite, a dip with either one would help kill the bug and give some immediate relief. Are you set up with a hospital tank? Were the fish quarantined prior to adding them to your tank?

WisReef

Jedi Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?

What did your ammonia spike to the other day? Current parameters are needed. Are the clowns the only current inhabitants?

OP
OP
Z

zbat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is currently at ammonia 0 since water changes last night. Nitrite is also 0. pH is 8. Nitrate is at 5ppm. All conditions were stable and WNL until the Benny died. The glass could use a scrub towards the bottom but I don’t want to disturb the clownfish. I also just dosed with microbe-lift herbtana in case it was a parasite. Water flow has been changed to aerate the tank better and are using the power head to direct it toward him.

If it is ammonia poisoning do you have any ideas on how to help? What to do to help in the meantime? He is more active and is starting to swim in bursts but is still at the bottom of the tank. This however is similar to what happened to the last clownfish before he passed last night. He would swim around, go the surface, stop, then slowly sink down to the bottom where he stayed until he did it all over again. This repeated until he finally passed. Should I be nervous he’s being more active?

OP
OP
Z

zbat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this 20 gal tank, we had a white storm (passed today at 3am - removed from tank), tailspot blenny (passed - removed from tank Friday), and a black storm who is not doing well. We also have an anenome, corals, clean up crew (hermits, snails, conch).

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't think you should be more nervous if he is more active. But we still don't know what the problem is. Better pictures are still needed. I have not heard of anyone using this natural remedy to treat a parasite.

OP
OP
Z

zbat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s beaten his fins up against the rocks and is usually a vibrant white.

Attachments

• 7A0D7ADC-48C4-4F05-B15E-64DAB38CD88C.jpeg
    7A0D7ADC-48C4-4F05-B15E-64DAB38CD88C.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Z

zbat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, forgot to share, these fish have been around since September in a 36 gallon tank. Downsized to a 20 gallon in February. Cycled for just over a month with starter bacteria until full nitrogen cycle completed and all ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate were 0.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not seeing any parasites. Seems hard to believe that a blenny dying would cause a large spike unless it was left to decompose for a while.
For now I would remove the fish to a separate qt tank if possible and provide it with extra aeration via an airstone.

OP
OP
Z

zbat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not seeing any parasites. Seems hard to believe that a blenny dying would cause a large spike unless it was left to decompose for a while.
For now I would remove the fish to a separate qt tank if possible and provide it with extra aeration via an airstone.
The Blenny often hid in rocks so its possible it was dead for a day and we only discovered the body on Friday around 6pm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back