Fish are getting through the netting

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So 2 weeks ago I added a blue spot jawfish to my display. I knew they are jumpers and since I have a few wrasse, I have the IM net over the tank. I caught and dumped that blue spot back in my tank 3 times before he eventually got eaten by my dog (most likely anyway)

Today I came to view the tank for my second feeding and my Splendid pintail is sitting on top of the netting baked dry. The fish was fine a few hours before for morning feeding. my fav fish in the tank too. Pretty bummed even though I did everything I knew I could to keep the fish in the tank they are still getting out. I know it’s just random as hell this is happening but what the heck?? 2 show fish in a week? Ugh

FA19C624-208D-4AA4-A67B-ACE9CE129C01.jpeg 63021B1F-92AB-4C57-84FE-3DDAE85FFE68.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's rough. What size netting do you have?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it blows. I just measured 3/8" squares. Now trying to find another Splendid Pintail locally and Qt and all that. Ugh
Ya that does seem big. I have been happy with my 1/4" mesh but you might want to find something even smaller if you keep some tiny fish

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 2 weeks ago I added a blue spot jawfish to my display. I knew they are jumpers and since I have a few wrasse, I have the IM net over the tank. I caught and dumped that blue spot back in my tank 3 times before he eventually got eaten by my dog (most likely anyway)

Today I came to view the tank for my second feeding and my Splendid pintail is sitting on top of the netting baked dry. The fish was fine a few hours before for morning feeding. my fav fish in the tank too. Pretty bummed even though I did everything I knew I could to keep the fish in the tank they are still getting out. I know it’s just random as hell this is happening but what the heck?? 2 show fish in a week? Ugh
Oh no, now I am worried. D: I have the same tank and nest.

OP
OP
Viva'sReef

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh no, now I am worried. D: I have the same tank and nest.
The two fish are notorious jumpers, especially the Blue spot so it's not a huge surprise. I am questioning the size of the netting though and just added the 1/4" to my BRS cart for my next order.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back