Fish At It Again, Taunting My Wife Over The 12 Inches of Snow Outside

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now it's getting serious! My wife is threatening to pull the plug on the aquarium heater if the fish don't stop teasing her about the blizzard outside. Every time she walks by the aquarium, she says the fish laugh at her, mock her, and thumb their noses at her because it's 12 degrees outside and 78 degrees in the aquarium. Would turn up the house heat but the fuel bills are crazy this winter. There has got to be some solution or happy medium? Wondering what those Reefers in warm places are doing today???

Blizzard 2022 01 29.jpg

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She could always drop a couple of snow balls in the tank to top it off and cool it down…

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @PeterC99 , here's how you keep the house cold but the wife happy.... By the way, we're only at about 10 inches a little south of you.

I keep the thermostat at 68/69 to save energy, but now close the door to the fish room. That room gets to 73/74 degrees with a nice level of humidity. We have a television in the fishroom and my wife settles in there, watches television and doesn't complain about the cold house.

Now the truth. We have an old house with plaster walls. If I keep the fishroom door open, the high humidity condenses on the walls and windows, and that's with running four dehumidifiers. With the door closed, the humidifiers only come on occasionally, and we get minimal condensation on the windows and walls.

Everyone is happy.

(FYI, my parents grew up on South Lexington in White Plains.)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if she's Actually threatening to pull the heater. If So, that's a terrible thing to say. Those things are Alive.

If she has that big of a problem with it, tell her to stop looking at them. . .

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had that same problem until last year....note, had! Snowed about an inch last night, mostly gone already...
A few more days like this and I will be joining you soon!!!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @PeterC99 , here's how you keep the house cold but the wife happy.... By the way, we're only at about 10 inches a little south of you.

I keep the thermostat at 68/69 to save energy, but now close the door to the fish room. That room gets to 73/74 degrees with a nice level of humidity. We have a television in the fishroom and my wife settles in there, watches television and doesn't complain about the cold house.

Now the truth. We have an old house with plaster walls. If I keep the fishroom door open, the high humidity condenses on the walls and windows, and that's with running four dehumidifiers. With the door closed, the humidifiers only come on occasionally, and we get minimal condensation on the windows and walls.

Everyone is happy.

(FYI, my parents grew up on South Lexington in White Plains.)
@PeterC99 could build on this…theme the fish room with tropical decor, a little sand on the floor, a couple of beach chairs, some umbrella drinks and it becomes a tropical getaway.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back