Fish Death From Eating Dinos?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReefRizz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ReefRizz

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2025
Messages
21
Reaction score
38
Location
Melbourne Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced fish death from eating dinoflagellates?

I have just lost a scopas tang, and a banggai cardinal in a relatively quick manner after observing them nip on dinoflagellates. I've seen them poop a brown string as well. I know what's the normal poop my fish release, and this one for sure is from eating the dinos.

I know that dinos release toxin when consumed by organisms and are the cause of red tides in the wild. I just want to know if anyone has experienced fish death from eating dinos, and if you've done anything to help it?

Thanks!
 
Is it possible, I think it might be... this feels very unlikely considering you lost two fish, rather than just one. Can we get a picture of the dino?
 
I would think that you would need to identify what sort of dinoflagellate you're dealing with before anyone could answer that. There's somewhere between 1000 and 2000 species of dinoflagellate. Many are harmless. Coral couldn't exist without them.

But lets say it is dinos. What are you going to do with that information? Do you have another tank you can move all your livestock into while you deal with the dinos?
 
I will not be moving fish elsewhere as the others that I have do not bother even touching the dinos. Don't have the handy pic of the dinos I have but it is stringy.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new