FISH DIE OVERNIGHT

dariba78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new to asking ?s I' have a few tanks, the 90gal is the problem. Fish die overnight a few still alive. The one alive act like there is no problem at all. All test check perfect. The tank has been running for years. Same thing happened 6 months ago, some fish died overnight, other were fine. Changed carbon water changes,tested water was perfect added a few new fish.Fine for 3 months, than it happened again.I have about 5 urchins,12 snails, they are fine same as last time fine.I have 365 gallon canister filter, 2 500gal powerheads and a bio wheel 250 gals.The fish lost were acting like they couldn't get enough air.Added a AQUEON 90GAL 400 gal, for a ninety gal tank,just in case today. Been keeping saltwater tanks for 40 years its got me lost. The other tanks are in the same room no problem. No sprays or ick all are fine Help THANK YOU FOR ANY IDEAS

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance someone used some cleaning supplies near the tank or anything like that?

When you say the fish seemed short of oxygen what was the behavior? Swimming into powerheads or anything?

What type of fish were lost and what kind remain?

Have you checked ammonia?

OP
OP
D

dariba78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 fish died 2 damsels a file fish a small tang . ammonia zero and have have a reef tank next to it, that ok check all test all were fine. I don't spray anything around tanks. 3 wrasse were ok when the light went now. They ate today and act like nothing was wrong. Lights on 10 hours a day, just turned off. LOST DAMSEL TODAY,AND OTHER WAS DIED THIS MOURING. THANK YOU IT HAS ME LOST.THANKS FOR FAST REPLEY ALWAYS HELP

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Have you added anything to your tank recently? Any signs of illness on the fish that died?

4 fish died 2 damsels a file fish a small tang . ammonia zero and have have a reef tank next to it, that ok check all test all were fine. I don't spray anything around tanks. 3 wrasse were ok when the light went now. They ate today and act like nothing was wrong. Lights on 10 hours a day, just turned off. LOST DAMSEL TODAY,AND OTHER WAS DIED THIS MOURING. THANK YOU IT HAS ME LOST.THANKS FOR FAST REPLEY ALWAYS HELP

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new corals or inverts added to the tank in the last 30 days?

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new to asking ?s I' have a few tanks, the 90gal is the problem. Fish die overnight a few still alive. The one alive act like there is no problem at all. All test check perfect. The tank has been running for years. Same thing happened 6 months ago, some fish died overnight, other were fine. Changed carbon water changes,tested water was perfect added a few new fish.Fine for 3 months, than it happened again.I have about 5 urchins,12 snails, they are fine same as last time fine.I have 365 gallon canister filter, 2 500gal powerheads and a bio wheel 250 gals.The fish lost were acting like they couldn't get enough air.Added a AQUEON 90GAL 400 gal, for a ninety gal tank,just in case today. Been keeping saltwater tanks for 40 years its got me lost. The other tanks are in the same room no problem. No sprays or ick all are fine Help THANK YOU FOR ANY IDEAS

Do a close inspection on the fish and look for lesions. Look closely at the fins and operculums of the surviving fish. Damsels are pretty hardy. I had a damsel tank a long time ago, it was awesome, but it was the thunderdome. I doubt fish aggression would kill multiple in one night but you never know. Check the living damsel's bed for a shank. Otherwise check your water. I have never used canisters, but it sounds like you have plenty of filtration. I have read that late maintenence on a canister can cause some release of bad things. Toxin is possible but it is not clear why some survived unless they were box fish (wrasses seem to give a lot people problems). Overall, you need a closer inspection. Check the dead animals, under a dissecting scope if you have one (order one if you don't), and check all water parameters. If that does not check out check your tank for loose electrical current. I have hear about that causing problems when something shorts out. Hopefully with more info someone will be able to give you a clue.

OP
OP
D

dariba78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water checks perfect,the fish ,snail, urchins have been in the tank about 4 months, nothing new. The few fish that live seem to be doing ok. snails and urchins are never bothered. Same thing happened 4 months ago.Not going to get anything new soon, just worried about the next time. Hate to loose any fish,that always seems bad even the cheaper fish. But looking in a 90gal tank almost empty,kinda stings. 40 years keeping fish and I'm lost. I thought I seen it all,but its a challenge. Still worth it,had most fish live 10 years,still family . Thank you for all the help this is a great site, always learning

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the fishes bodies looking once they die? Are they just dead or do they disappear? Any chance something is eating them?

OP
OP
D

dariba78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just died not a mark on them,did'nt have ick or od. Nothing I could see. Seemed to happen all at once they were all breathing hard. I put air stone in and other powerhead hoping to save them. The few others that made it trough. acted like nothing happen. These 2 times I never had that happen over the years of keeping fish. Thank you

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just died not a mark on them,did'nt have ick or od. Nothing I could see. Seemed to happen all at once they were all breathing hard. I put air stone in and other powerhead hoping to save them. The few others that made it trough. acted like nothing happen. These 2 times I never had that happen over the years of keeping fish. Thank you

Oh wow. No idea what could be causing this. Hoping someone on here will be able to come to the rescue. Good luck

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back