Fish Died

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I read a lot of posts. I think I underestimated the bioload. I never got this many fish in at once before but I was watching them and they seemed fine until the 9th day and only the Coral Beauty was breathing hard. I think it might be an oxygen issue but the directions for Paraguard didn't mention anything about needing an airstone like some of the other chemicals. 4 fish died with 4 hours of dosing more Paraguard.

Not all meds mention oxygen depletion, because of this I always assume they will. Which is why many actually use a power head pointing at the water surface to really agitate the water while dosing meds.

OP
OP
T

T-MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all meds mention oxygen depletion, because of this I always assume they will. Which is why many actually use a power head pointing at the water surface to really agitate the water while dosing meds.

Yeah, I'll do that next time. I was going to go home to add an air pump but they died while I was at work.

OP
OP
T

T-MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Beauty:

Yellowstriped Cardinal Fish:

It looks like they were struggling to go to the top. It's hard watching these guys go one by one.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely use a larger qt, at least 10g with airstone, or some method of oxygenation. I find air stones the easiest. Less fish at once. Learn from this and do it right the next time.
Notes: for a 40g display, you should not have any fish that could not be qt'd in a 10g tank. Make sure to have good air exchange as many meds do deplete oxygen fast. Have proper meds on hand and use a seachem ammonia badge. Prime is my go to for qts and controlling ammonia.j

OP
OP
T

T-MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely use a larger qt, at least 10g with airstone, or some method of oxygenation. I find air stones the easiest. Less fish at once. Learn from this and do it right the next time.
Notes: for a 40g display, you should not have any fish that could not be qt'd in a 10g tank. Make sure to have good air exchange as many meds do deplete oxygen fast. Have proper meds on hand and use a seachem ammonia badge. Prime is my go to for qts and controlling ammonia.j

Do you add prime every 48 hours? I think the issue here is probably oxygen depletion because I added more Paraguard and they started dropping within 2 hours.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely it was oxygen depletion. I make sure to run air stones and hob filters hitting the water on all qts.
Prime i dose as needed via the badge. If I can, I will do water changes. Sometimes with meds, Prime is the best option.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an ammonia Alert badge for your QT tanks. Works really well, very easy to read, lasts about a year. I think your problem was not changing enough water fast enough. You had too many fish in a very small volume of water that couldn't support the bioload. This is probably OK if you're doing very large water changes often, lots of people do tank transfer for QT.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back