Fish dying in tank weekly? PLEASE ID DISEASE and treatment for QT

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started with 7 fish slowly adding and acclimating, I did not QT , only acclimated each for 2 hrs and put in display. I had 3 chroma s , no problems, 1 six line wrasse, no problem, then added 1 clown , week later added 2nd clown , then added a banggai cardinal. Disease started with the first clown, behind dorsal fin white faded color, swimming sideways , removed asap. died an hr later in QT tank. 3 days later, second clown went missing in action, must have died under rocks and crabs eat remains. 3 more days later, found 1 of my chroma s dead on side of intake of PH. 5 days later now one more chroma has faded scales behind dorsal fin , now bloody looking. trying to capture and add to QT? please open pic to identify and give recommendations to save my LOVELY six line
fish 027.jpg

tank is 3 months old , first fish added after 6 weeks

Attachments

• fish 005.jpg
    fish 005.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 225
  • fish 004.jpg
    fish 004.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 222
  • fish 026.jpg
    fish 026.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like aggression than disease. What size is the tank? I'm willing to bet the Six Line is killing the other fish,

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a new setup? If so, what's PH and Ammonia reading?

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six lines can be crazy. Had to get rid of mine because it was a ruthless killer.

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to revert to my original theory... The Six Line is harassing/killing everyone. The damage on the Chromis doesn't look like any type of disease. Looks like mechanical damage.

OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well before i purchased this six line i read they are compatible with other fish?? i added the six line the same time i added the chroma,s , since, i added the first mis marked clown i purchased from a different LFS. then i started having trouble. The mis marked clown was the first fish to show faded color behind dorsal fin , then swimming funny? i removed asap, but now everything else in tank is gradually dying??

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a picture of the fading?Sixline should only mess with other wrasses for the most part. Sixlines can be mean, you should notice it if it is the sixline as they are relentless when they start to attack and it would be hard to miss. You might of brought something in the tank with the new fish addition.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you acclimated for 2 hours? do you mean the fish were in a plastic bag floating for that long?

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hrs is to long to drip anything IMO, your temps will change meaning a change in ph. When you drop your new fish in your display it might go into ph shock an if it is already sick it will be an issue.

Unless, of course, you are keeping his temp the same as the display.

OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the mis marked clown was the largest clown , came from different lfs than others, he had milky cloudy faded scales on his rear left side? i removed him asap to the QT, he died a hour later. since all fish have been dying every 3 to 5 days? now the another chroma has this bad place on his rear and it just turned bloody red? the only thing added since was a sea hare for the alge, but it all started with the first clown added? i added the second 4 days later he just looked lonely? now looks like im learning the hard way? just like to figure this out . its been 2-1/2 weeks since first fish died, 3 days ago the first chroma was dead laying up against my PH

OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hrs is to long to drip anything IMO, your temps will change meaning a change in ph. When you drop your new fish in your display it might go into ph shock an if it is already sick it will be an issue.

Unless, of course, you are keeping his temp the same as the display.
i keep my QT 10 gallon at 77 deg , same as my display? but the display does swing 76 to 78 day n night

OMG Corals

meat popsicle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pic of the chromis it definately looks like Hemoragic septicema. It's a bacterial infection and very common in chromis and damsel fish (which clowns are part of). It is dificult to treat for and i would qt all fish and treat with furan 2 or another antibacterial med. Even a Prazipro dip is not a bad idea.

OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks airway, her was my original post when the first clown died. see below
10-11-2011 06:54 PM #1

Stinger
user-online.png

Registered Member Feedback Score 0
reputation_pos.png
Join Date Jul 2011
Location East Central Alabama
Posts 82

10 week old tank Lost Clown

Opinions please. I added a medium size clown to my 110 gal tank 11 days ago, he looked fine, but he just started to die this evening. I noticed he had no ick spots. But his skin pigment color on he rear looked pale? also noticed a little red spot close to his top fin like a little blood spot. I have 3 chroma s , 1 six line wrasse in the tank first, then I added this clown 11 days ago, when i purchased him he looked good but was in a tank alone? he is a mis-marked clown. last friday i purchased another clown from a different lfs . this clown was smaller and was matched with the same sized clown in the tank. I brought him home and acclimated for 2-1/2 hrs like all my fish. late that nite i noticed the 2 clowns were swishing their tails checking each other out. then they kinda swam separately the last few days. this evening he was swimming funny and i pulled him from the tank and added him to the QT tank. he died 1 hr ago. DID THE NEW SMALLER CLOWN kill him?? i thought about going back to the other lfs and get his match back. :cry:
TANK PAR'S SALINE 1.025 . KEEPS GOING UP because of evaporation. should i mix my new RO/DI with 1.020 for water changes and not 1.023 ? PO4 =.25 , ammonia= 0.00 ppm, nitrate-=0.00 ppm, PH=8.4

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back