FISH!!! FLOWERHORN... ? ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE?

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. So me and my gf, picked up a juvenile flowerhorn the other day. We have him in a bare 20l aquarium with a large hang on the back filter. He is looking good so far. We are feeding him hikari biogold mini pellets. (they seem big for him) what do you guys think here is a pic of him just a couple hrs after putting him in his new home.
FH-1.jpeg
FH-2.jpeg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest thing to an aquatic puppy dog you can get!

It will look amazing as it grows up. You should probably plan on keeping it by itself though or with something super tough and pretty nonchalant, like a bichir, medium size catfish, or pleco. They like to test the patience of everything around them and are usually kept by themselves in a bare bottom tank. The love to make sand storms if you put sand in the bottom and they will actively redecorate their tank daily if you put light decorations or plants in the tank. That being said, the personality and ability to recognize their owners is worth it in my opinion :)

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest thing to an aquatic puppy dog you can get!

It will look amazing as it grows up. You should probably plan on keeping it by itself though or with something super tough and pretty nonchalant, like a bichir, medium size catfish, or pleco. They like to test the patience of everything around them and are usually kept by themselves in a bare bottom tank. The love to make sand storms if you put sand in the bottom and they will actively redecorate their tank daily if you put light decorations or plants in the tank. That being said, the personality and ability to recognize their owners is worth it in my opinion :)

That is kinda why we decided to get one. cant wait to see what colors he pops out. He is like maybe 1.5" now no KOK visible yet I hope its a boy anyway. he has a very slight hint of red popping out on his front.
FYI my gf fell in love with Frank off of King of DIY Joey.

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is kinda why we decided to get one. cant wait to see what colors he pops out. He is like maybe 1.5" now no KOK visible yet I hope its a boy anyway. he has a very slight hint of red popping out on his front.
FYI my gf fell in love with Frank off of King of DIY Joey.
I was actually thinking about Frank haha but I have had some first hand experience with them through a friend's tank. Females still exhibit much of the same personality and will still be fairly colorful as well :)

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking about Frank haha but I have had some first hand experience with them through a friend's tank. Females still exhibit much of the same personality and will still be fairly colorful as well :)
lol thanks. Hoping for the best this guy will probably start making appearances in my build thread from time to time. Already starting to come up to the front top when me or my gf go near the tank. only fed him like 3 times now.
So ive been trying to find more info on these guys. Anyone have any good sites to check out? Any active FH forums? if anyone has a FH could we get some pix and info for reference. Would love to see some growth pix. From small like 1" and up would be cool. Anything to help me know what we are getting into(We have a good idea) Just looking for whatever experience any of you would like to share. Thanks

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol thanks. Hoping for the best this guy will probably start making appearances in my build thread from time to time. Already starting to come up to the front top when me or my gf go near the tank. only fed him like 3 times now.
So ive been trying to find more info on these guys. Anyone have any good sites to check out? Any active FH forums? if anyone has a FH could we get some pix and info for reference. Would love to see some growth pix. From small like 1" and up would be cool. Anything to help me know what we are getting into(We have a good idea) Just looking for whatever experience any of you would like to share. Thanks
Try http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/ or the aquarium reddit :)

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he has other tank mates they won't last long when he gets bigger that's for sure the 2 I had were bullies

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one for my son. He was traumatized by the net, he would always hide, never come out, and if we got another fish he would kill it, and then go back to hiding.

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was raising high end flowerhorns and still have a friend who breeds them. They are one fish you either love or hate, if you go on facebook there are a ton of flowerhorn groups. U will find that if people dont like them they hate them and with bash you for owning one.

There are special diets you can get for them to increase there KOK but I personally believe that a high quality food and water changes are what make them grow better

Here is a picture of ones I was raising

20046221_457812367925596_1612340099_n.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back