Fish food

spacefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, new guy here. I wanna start by saying I know very little/if anything about reef fish or aquariums. I would like to learn what foods are desired and most beneficial. Can you guys suggest any books to get started.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, new guy here. I wanna start by saying I know very little/if anything about reef fish or aquariums. I would like to learn what foods are desired and most beneficial. Can you guys suggest any books to get started.
Books no, on my end but, internet sites to look at various options for certain. Let's start at what do you have currently if anything....do you have an ideal of what your reef or fish only tank will be or is? Fish and coral, fish and soft coral, a full on fish with soft and hard coral reef... size of tank? Let's start there.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what fish you keep, but in general the more variety the better.

OP
OP
S

spacefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about feeding reef fish roe from wild caught saltwater fish. I seasonally have different types of fish roe. I am trying to learn if this is a safe food source and what needs to be done to ensure no harm is done to someones system if they use it. Thanks for the response.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Frozen diets are as natural as can be and some manufacturers of good foods are :
San Fransisco Bay
Hikari
LRS
Rods

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen diets are as natural as can be and some manufacturers of good foods are :
San Fransisco Bay
Hikari
LRS
Rods
+1 to this. Feed frozen
Welcome to R2R!

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about feeding reef fish roe from wild caught saltwater fish. I seasonally have different types of fish roe. I am trying to learn if this is a safe food source and what needs to be done to ensure no harm is done to someones system if they use it. Thanks for the response.
A couple brands sell oyster roe and fish roe as reef foods but I'm not sure what processing it goes through to make it safe. I would be afraid of parasites if the roe is from tropical fish

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple brands sell oyster roe and fish roe as reef foods but I'm not sure what processing it goes through to make it safe. I would be afraid of parasites if the roe is from tropical fish
I buy frozen hoping for biodiversity in the food.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of everything is the key IME. (sorry if this has already been said)

FWIW I'm a big fan of flakes as a staple though. Community flakes, spirulina flakes etc. Different brands. GL.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own from wild caught crustaceans , fish and Dulse/Nori. Never tried roe....
Feed frozen if I'm I'm too lazy to fire up the blender. Along with Spirulina pellets

OP
OP
S

spacefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. The roe would be coming from king mackerel and mullet. Would the majority of you guys be worried about using this in your tank?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. The roe would be coming from king mackerel and mullet. Would the majority of you guys be worried about using this in your tank?
I just try and diversify as much as possible with real food. I may feed pellets once every couple weeks. Otherwise I have 4 different kinds of Rods food, mysis, and stuff I buy from the seafood counter at the grocery.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you get to the point of making your own, I follow a “general” recipe depending on what’s available. I freeze enough for a couple months at a time. If I’m lazy LRS is like crack in the tank, they love it and will probably start mixing that in as well

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, unless it's frozen first, although the risk seems to be low. #Jay Hemdal wrote that there's a relative of ich that parasitizes coldwater fish, and I'd be at least somewhat concerned about introducing pathogens into my tanks which are difficult to treat. And this parasite is apparently difficult to treat with copper. But I don't know if it's viable in tropical temperatures.

Then again, I feed Reef Nutrition Real Ocean Eggs in my tanks, and it's unclear if they're treated. I suppose that anything has a risk.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back