Helping Fish Coloration

Flyangler33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Was curious what people supplement on the fish food to help with their coloration. I have a small yellow tang, hes a little on the opaque side, very healthy otherwise, but wanted to see if there was anything I can help supplement to help give him that deep yellow pop and help my fish in general.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Was curious what people supplement on the fish food to help with their coloration. I have a small yellow tang, hes a little on the opaque side, very healthy otherwise, but wanted to see if there was anything I can help supplement to help give him that deep yellow pop and help my fish in general.
I've been meaning to look more into this, but the most common ones at the moment are astaxanthin (reds) and spirulina (blue/green).
Foods with astaxanthin enhance (i.e. deepen) red/orange/pink coloration, and foods with spirulina in them are supposed to enhance blue/green colors (and according to one company in Japan, yellow too).
There are other things (like beet root, for example) that enhance coloration too, but the astaxanthin and spirulina are the most commonly used in the hobby.
Yeah, some things that can impact a fish's coloration (leaving a few irrelevant factors out of the conversation):
-Light (wavelength, intensity, and duration)
-Health
-Diet (including both vitamins, minerals, etc. and pigments like astaxanthin in a fish's diet)
-Various chemicals and hormones
-Genetics

Some things that affect a fish's coloration are immediate (like stress) while others (like lighting and diet) can take much, much longer to make a noticeable difference. It's possible that this tang's coloration is a result of some of those less-immediate factors, so it may take a while for it to change.
For an example of the difference pigments in a fish's diet can make:
https://nhrec.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/vdocuments.net_clownfish-astaxanthin-study-reed-mariculture-astaxanthin-level-average-preference.pdf For an example of the difference that lighting can make:
Yes, it has been demonstrated on a number of different fish both internally (like salmon) and externally (such as red tilapia* and other species listed in the block quote below), a few different inverts, and even flamingos.** It seems to primarily be a reddening agent (though it has been shown to have some other positive effects too), yes.

"Astaxanthin has been shown to promote growth and skin pigmentation in flame-red dwarf gourami Trichogaster lalius (Baron et al., 2008), blood parrotfish Cichlasoma synspilum × C. citrinellum (Li et al., 2018), green swordtail Xiphophorus helleri (Putra et al., 2020), discus fish Symphysodon (Song et al., 2017), rainbow kurumoifish Melanotaenia parva (Meilisza et al., 2018), and red swamp crayfish Procambarus clarkii (Cheng and Wu, 2019)."***

A similar effect has been noted for other colors with things like Spirulina (different carotenoids involved though).****

*Source:
**Source:
***Source:
****Sources:
For an idea of some of the other things that have been/can potentially be used to improve coloration (use cautiously - too much of a lot of these can cause problems):

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been meaning to look more into this, but the most common ones at the moment are astaxanthin (reds) and spirulina (blue/green).

For an idea of some of the other things that have been/can potentially be used to improve coloration (use cautiously - too much of a lot of these can cause problems):
Some of the most common ways to deliver these to your fish are PE Calanus for reds and SFB Spirulina enriched brine for greens.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back