Fish for 50g Lowboy - Open Top - Bare Bottom - Med/High Flow

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a fish that will do well in my frag tank (tied into my 75g display). Anyone have suggestions, or would you even bother putting a fish in there?

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most frag tanks I have seen have at least one six line Wrasse (depending on the size) and one tang or fox face. I’ve seen a few with some damsels or a clown or two. The six line is a must for critter control, imo

I've been considering a 6 line, but worry about jumping... they are wrasses after all. Also not sure a tang would fit considering there's only about 7" of water above the frag rack...

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering a 6 line, but worry about jumping... they are wrasses after all. Also not sure a tang would fit considering there's only about 7" of water above the frag rack...
I have had six lines in nearly every tank I’ve ever run (except the nanos) and never had one jump. I currently have one in a 60 open top and he’s never even gotten close to scared enough to jump. As for the tang, one of the LFSs in our area has a shallow frag tank with a Fox face in it. He actually comes to the surface and spits water at everyone. He’s happy there and the tank he’s in is only about 15” deep. If you’re worried, get a tomini or something that stays small.

mushroom_dude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had six lines in nearly every tank I’ve ever run (except the nanos) and never had one jump. I currently have one in a 60 open top and he’s never even gotten close to scared enough to jump. As for the tang, one of the LFSs in our area has a shallow frag tank with a Fox face in it. He actually comes to the surface and spits water at everyone. He’s happy there and the tank he’s in is only about 15” deep. If you’re worried, get a tomini or something that stays small.
That’s awesome. Would love to see that

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Most frag tanks I have seen have at least one six line Wrasse (depending on the size) and one tang or fox face. I’ve seen a few with some damsels or a clown or two. The six line is a must for critter control, imo

This fish list is exactly what I have in my frag tank, lol. All of them. Nothing more, nothing less.

1 foxface
1 sailfin tang
1 sixline
3 yellow tail damsels
2 picasso clowns

Tank is 7'x30"x1'

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 32 42.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back