Fish help, please!!

ReefCaptain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have had a successful tank for the last 1.5 years until last week where I have had several fish die within a few days after no previous signs of disease. I lost a moorish idol, powder blue, Pakistani butterfly, emperor angel and a vagabond butterfly. I have a few survivors left which are the original fish Ive had in the tank since the beginning.. yellow tang, blue hippo and a Singapore angel. I have no idea what disease killed my fish and are trying to save the remaining couple of fish I have but don’t know how to proceed. My water parameters are all within range… PH 8.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate about 10.0. All of the fish have been eating well and then next day I check on the tank and one by one are gone. First, i though it was ich but that would not kill them so quickly, the last thing I though is it might be velvet but sometimes I see small dots on the fish and then hours later I don’t. The Singapore angel has blotchy white spots on its body but not like ich. They are eating but are behaving differently, not scratching exactly but not being active as they usually are. At this point, I don’t know what to do. Do I get my 40 gallon QT tank going and treat with copper? Do I treat the DT with some prazipro? I’m all out of ideas, I don’t want to stress the fish anymore than I have to but also don’t want to just sit there and watch them die. I added a few photos of the fish, maybe someone with more experience than me could spot whats going on.

P.S. I also have a diamond goby, ocellaris clown and a yellow head goby that don’t seem to be bothered by this.

Thank you in advance.

91C7F170-A20A-40FD-9864-2093580725B4.png 0E3DEFA0-674C-4F3E-AC17-218080998311.png 40A299AA-1AFC-4E22-8F3D-94B1C8FC01C0.png A7F2B714-0E7F-4610-9B3D-8ADF0E8BC643.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a short video? That would help identify rapid breathing, and that in turn can help diagnose between velvet and flukes…..
I presume the invertebrates in the tank are all doing well? That’s an easy way to rule out water issues…..
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
All seem also to have HLLE.
You stated your parameters are good and ammonia/nitrate 0-
What test kits are you using and what foods are you feeding?

OP
OP
ReefCaptain

ReefCaptain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using API test kits, I feed a variety of frozen mysis, formula 1, brine shrimp, seaweed, pallets and flakes. Not all at the same time of course, I alternate. I feed once sometimes twice a day.
As far as the rock is concerned, thats just the way my rock looks, doesn’t do me any good to lie about how long I had my tank up.
I attached a short video.

Attachments

• IMG_2293.MOV
    19.3 MB
  • IMG_2294.MOV
    5.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using API test kits, I feed a variety of frozen mysis, formula 1, brine shrimp, seaweed, pallets and flakes. Not all at the same time of course, I alternate. I feed once sometimes twice a day.
As far as the rock is concerned, thats just the way my rock looks, doesn’t do me any good to lie about how long I had my tank up.
I attached a short video.
I don’t see rapid breathing that would be associated with velvet. I did see the tilefish nail another fish - that may be a contributing factor, if not the root of the problem. Think about the tilefish biting the other fish - even once every two days and you are going to see evidence of that with bite marks, ripped fins, etc. I would set up your phone to video the tank then leave the room. That will give you some idea as to the extent of the problem.
Given the fish loss though, I would treat the tank 2x with prazipro, 8 days apart, with good aeration.
Jay

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idol , tang and 2 butterfly fish …

how long has that tank been running ?
Size ?
were they all added at the same time ?
Acclimation procedure ?

those fish listed are among the hardest to keep parasite and disease free in a well established system .

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lack of growth on the rocks is definitely notable for a 1.5 yr old tank. I'd recommend an ICP test to see if there is anything notable in that regard. Otherwise, I would follow Jay's advice for the disease treatment.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back