Fish ID

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing aggravates me more than lfs that do not take care of their fish, but selling specimens that clearly do not belong in small tanks is on the list too. Both the Lunare wrasse and the Sailfin Tang are completely wrong and both are aggressive, not to mention that tang looks emaciated and should be fattened up asap. Do yourself a favor and do research on what goes well in a small community tank, I would even shy away from damsels because they're very territorial as well. Cardinals, Flame hawk, gobies, royal gramma, ect ect., always come here to ask questions before you buy and you'll save yourself money and many headaches!

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what my question is. If you asked questions and you trust your dealer. Why are you here asking what this fish is?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, this is 100% a regular Sailfin Tang. They can be somewhat difficult to ID as juveniles.

I also agree that fish is going to very much outgrow your tank.

Also, your tank is nowhere near large enough for a lunare wrasse.

As said, you also very much need a new LFS. You can run ideas past us here, we are more than happy to help!

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 30 gallon. Is he compatible with a lunar wrasse?

I agree with the others on putting the appropriate size fish in an appropriately sized tank.

The best thing to do when at the fish store and you see a fish you like.... Ask someone, if it's not labeled, what type of fish it is, then pull up Liveaquaria.com on your cell phone and type the fish in. It will give you an overview of the fish (how big it will get, if it's a carnivore, herbivore or omnivore, ideal tank size, and compatibility with other fish) so you know whether or not it's something you can house.

Most stores will carry little sugar cube sized fish that are babies, like a Formosa Wrasse that gets 2 feet long, and won't tell you how big it gets because they either don't know, don't care, or expect you to do your own research.

Fish don't grow to the size of the tank. And right now you have 2 fish that should not be in anything less than 180 gallon tank.

Ask if you can trade them back for either a 6-line Wrasse, Melanarus Wrasse or Yellow Coris Wrasse and maybe a Pygmy Angelfish like a Bi-color Angel. ALL GOOD CHOICES for a 30 gallon, especially the Yellow Coris and Bi-color.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask if you can trade them back for either a 6-line Wrasse, Melanarus Wrasse or Yellow Coris Wrasse and maybe a Pygmy Angelfish like a Bi-color Angel. ALL GOOD CHOICES for a 30 gallon, especially the Yellow Coris and Bi-color.
Of these fish listed only the sixline and pygmy angel are appropriate for a 30g. Sixlines can be aggressive and pygmy angels may nip corals if the op decides to keep them.

OP
OP
Keith607

Keith607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im "reefing on a budget" lol. I can really just buy whats on hand but i am learning alot from here. Ty everyone for the advise. I now know ill just order fish from online. Prolly cheaper too. Its a learning experience for me .

oldcrusty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this tang today what kind is it?

20170801_144627.jpg

20170801_144624.jpg
It is a Zebrasoma veliferum I have had one since 2008 was 3-4 inches when purchased had in a 56 gallon tall tank up until November 2015 he is 5-6 inches now and in a 75 gallon tank. Doing great with Yellow tang Elbli dwarf angel 6" Melanurus Wrasse 4" Temmincki Fairy Wrasse 3" Clown Wrasse 10 " snowflake moray eel 3" Flame Hawk
Very peaceful fish that has not grown very fast but eats well and fat. I quarter 1 head of Artisan Lettuce and attach to a rock fed once a week for additional greens in diet. Artisan Lettuce comes in a plastic clam shell container in produce section of grocery store. My herbs love it as it has variety with 4 different dwarf types of lettuce. Last a couple of months in refrigerator. It is a very durable fish and reef safe. Have had aquariums since I was 8 years old live on the gulf coast and have had local fish in smaller aquariums than 30 gallons have found that fish growth rates slow down in smaller tanks but doesn't imply that they won't out grow the tank. If you stay with the hobby you will most likely be purchasing a larger tank in the future. Mine grew 2 inches in length after moving him to the 75 my 56 tall is 8 inches higher than my 75 but 18 inches shorter than the 75. He was happy in the 56 for several years happier in the 75. Diet is important with Tangs and Angels. Read up on it. Great prices on frozen food at Dr. Foster Smith on line twice the amount of food for 1/3 the cost of PetSmart or Petco. 19.00 overnite air freight cost is hard to beat! Feed mine Saltwater Multi Pack, Cobalt Herb and Omni, Brine and Mysis along with the fresh lettuce which is easier than boiling broccoli.
1st Picture is Zebrasoma velifer) 2nd Picture is the Zebrasoma desjardini

Zebrasoma veliferum.jpg

Sailfin-Desjardini.jpg

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sailfin in a 40 breeder and it's doing fine so I mean although yes as they get larger they'll need larger space, it's not impossible to keep it for a few years in such a tank

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sailfin in a 40 breeder and it's doing fine so I mean although yes as they get larger they'll need larger space, it's not impossible to keep it for a few years in such a tank

It's not impossible but it's certainly is not optimal.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not always about the size of the fish, its about the housing needs

Understood. But he has no corals, rock and sand. So basically a FOWLR. Both the Wrasses, imo, would be fine in that current setup. I wasn't saying to get all of the fish I listed. I was saying pick a fish I listed.

OP
OP
Keith607

Keith607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have livesand and crushed coral rock and a hammerhead coral featherdusters and green coral

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a Hammer/Euphyllia and Zoanthids a green variety.
If you're on a budget your best bet is to spend your money on more rock, and save your money for a bigger tank and better equipment.
Resist impulse buys (I know it's difficult). Trust me I have seen this scenario thousands of times, once the novelty wears off and disease sets in you're either going to give up or spend a lot more money than you originally intended to spend.
We want nothing more than for you to succeed and have the tank you want, research and reaching out to the forum will serve you far better than the local fish store.

:)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back