Fish ideas for a 215 gallon reef

B's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, need some ideas on more fish for my 215 gallon reef. 72x24x30 sps dominant reef. Bare bottom.

So far here is what is in the tank:

Yellow tang 3-4”
Regal tang 3-4”
Single osc clown
Pair of bangai cardinals
One spot foxface
6 x lyretail anthias

I know I want to add 2 more tangs, possibly 3. Open to your suggestions on types of those.

But looking for ideas in general for additions!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B's Reef

B's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to have to add all the new tangs at once. i love my achilies and sohal.

Yea that’s the plan. Tangs last and all in at once. I would love an Achilles, just haven’t heard many people having long term success with them. And a sohal is pretty high on my list as well!

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t go wrong with a purple tang! Though with the existing yellow tang there may be qualms.....

For tangs of the Acanthurus genus I love clowns, powder blues, lavenders, and sohals. All are very aggressive and prone to ich though.

Ctenochaetus tangs are great for algae and detritus. My personal favorite is the Indian Bristletooth Tang. AKA the spotted bristletooth tang.

Tangs of the Naso genus can outgrow your tank as it matures, however, I personally think a 215 is adequate for one naso genus species such as naso elegans (blonde naso tang) or naso vlamingii (vlamingii tang)

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bristletooth will do nicely and for me the C. truncatus is the only consideration. Another that I would recomend but is not for everyone is the Mimic tang, A. pyroferus a true winner of subtle beauty.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back