Fish in a cycling aquarium! Help

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my issue is my family moved some goldfish from the pond into our cycling tanks. I have one 40 gallon and 2 ten gallons that have been just beginning cycle. I move the fish in for the winter they are small. Currently we have 2 in each tank. The rest are still in the pond. My question is should I move them back? Tomorrow or leave them. Any help much appreciated. Thanks (I know this is for salt water but could not get on another forum)

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far into the cycle are these tanks? If it just started, I would put them back outside for at least 2-3 weeks. Goldfish are very dirty fish and will slam those small 10 gallons with too much ammonia, with no bio filtration available yet. You'll also have to add them back slowly to the tanks so the biological filtration can catch up. You can't, or shouldn't, dump a bunch of fish in a newly cycled tank at once unless it was cycled for a high bioload.

You could get a sponge filter, or some Seachem Matrix, and stick it in the pond filter for 2 weeks to get some biologicals on it, then add it to the aquariums to help seed the tanks for when you add the fish.

Why not just get a pond heater so you can leave them outside and call it a day?

OP
OP
ccbobafett

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah a pond heater what I might do was considering that but never really pulled the trigger on it. I might just do that will have to see. The pond is in bad shape though and does need total drain and clean out. I think I will move them in because of this but after this year get some heaters after I clean it out. I am definitely moving them in tomorrow thanks for the suggestion and help. I also am trying to prepare cycle for high bio load by feeding tanks heavily no fish. Thanks again

OP
OP
ccbobafett

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So aquariums have finished cycling and fish are in tanks again thanks for help

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back