Fish in qt showing signs of flukes despite treatment

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello so I finished metro and api general cure (prazi +metro)- 2 doses of this spread 7 days apart early on in my copper treatment. My hippo tang was scratching on pvc and flashing. This went away and then I started my 30 days of copper. I didn’t notice anymore of this behavior. I then was on my second week of observation without copper feeding api general cure laced foods for 14 days. My hippo started the same behavior again now. I dosed prazi once today my question is what do I now ?

do I start hyposalinity ?
Do I do 3 rounds of prazi pro instead of the initial two rounds of api general cure. ( I read prazipro has stronger prazi component).

after my new treatment how long do I need to wait to move to display tank. Does the two weeks observation restart ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello so I finished metro and api general cure (prazi +metro)- 2 doses of this spread 7 days apart early on in my copper treatment. My hippo tang was scratching on pvc and flashing. This went away and then I started my 30 days of copper. I didn’t notice anymore of this behavior. I then was on my second week of observation without copper feeding api general cure laced foods for 14 days. My hippo started the same behavior again now. I dosed prazi once today my question is what do I now ?

Do I do 3 rounds of prazi pro instead of the initial two rounds of api general cure. ( I read prazipro has stronger prazi component).

after my new treatment how long do I need to wait to move to display tank. Does the two weeks observation restart ?
You have not completed the 30 day cycle for copper and at what therapeutic level are you treating at and what test kit are you using to monitor it ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The issue is with species of flukes that jay eggs - prazi doesn’t kill the eggs. Those hatch out and you need to try and time killing them before they in turn have a chance to lay eggs. I think the timing should be 8 or 9 days, but that doesn’t always work. Three treatments help. I think I checked in the past and GC and Prazipro were the same dose, but Prazipro dissolves better.
Not all scratching is caused by flukes, but it often is.
I’ve generally had the best results using half salinity for 35 days.
Jay

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have not completed the 30 day cycle for copper and at what therapeutic level are you treating at and what test kit are you using to monitor it ?
I did complete the 30 days of copper at 2.5. Verified about every other day with Hannah copper. Especially after any water change. Is it the copper I should be focused on for scratching or prazipro ? I did my metro doses every other day and 2 doses of api general cure during the 30 days of copper. After 30 days I started the two weeks observation once the copper was removed. This is when I noticed the scratching again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The issue is with species of flukes that jay eggs - prazi doesn’t kill the eggs. Those hatch out and you need to try and time killing them before they in turn have a chance to lay eggs. I think the timing should be 8 or 9 days, but that doesn’t always work. Three treatments help. I think I checked in the past and GC and Prazipro were the same dose, but Prazipro dissolves better.
Not all scratching is caused by flukes, but it often is.
I’ve generally had the best results using half salinity for 35 days.
Jay
What are some other causes of scratching ? So I will give it 8 or 9 days apart and try for 3 doses. Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some other causes of scratching ? So I will give it 8 or 9 days apart and try for 3 doses. Thanks
Depends on how frequent the scratching is, but it can be learned behavior in some fish. High particulate loads in a tank will also cause scratching. It is usually parasites though.
Jay

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on how frequent the scratching is, but it can be learned behavior in some fish. High particulate loads in a tank will also cause scratching. It is usually parasites though.
Jay
I read hippo tangs can have this scratching behavior as they are odd fish. It’s been a hippo tang and white kole tail tang in same Qt. The kole tang has showed no signs during it all. Should I assume it’s normal behavior if it’s not too frequent ? Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read hippo tangs can have this scratching behavior as they are odd fish. It’s been a hippo tang and white kole tail tang in same Qt. The kole tang has showed no signs during it all. Should I assume it’s normal behavior if it’s not too frequent ? Thanks
Tough to say. The fact that it stopped scratching after treatment is pretty suspicious.
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back