Fish keep dying

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got reefer 350 and fish are dropping like flies ever since I order some new fish online. I didn’t qt (never have) and I guess I’ve learned my lesson. I ordered two wrasse an Anthias and a jawfish. All came in good shape. One wrasse died the next day. The Anthias was getting picked on by my tomini tang and developed tail rot and I did set up a qt tank for him but he quickly died. Then the other wrasse died a few days ago. Then today a barnacle blenny literally died while I was watching. Darted into some gsp and died. Almost like it had a heart attack. Then tonight. I noticed my helfirichi firefish may have been breathing a little heavy and went to bed a little early. Well I just looked at the tank and it was dead as well. The wrasse and firefish were covered in this thick mucus like substance that I have never seen before.

Besides the Anthias, all have this fish have literally just perished before my eyes. What could be causing this??

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are
Alk is 7-8
Calcium and mag are good
Nitrate and phosphate were undetectable so I’ve been trying to raise them up. I did a double dose two days in a row of brightwells nitrate and phosphate. Could that interfere with something? I am really at a loss here guys

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding more as well. Could I have caused an ammonia spike? I will get a test in the morning. Tank has two year old established rock probably 80 pounds or so

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got reefer 350 and fish are dropping like flies ever since I order some new fish online. I didn’t qt (never have) and I guess I’ve learned my lesson. I ordered two wrasse an Anthias and a jawfish. All came in good shape. One wrasse died the next day. The Anthias was getting picked on by my tomini tang and developed tail rot and I did set up a qt tank for him but he quickly died. Then the other wrasse died a few days ago. Then today a barnacle blenny literally died while I was watching. Darted into some gsp and died. Almost like it had a heart attack. Then tonight. I noticed my helfirichi firefish may have been breathing a little heavy and went to bed a little early. Well I just looked at the tank and it was dead as well. The wrasse and firefish were covered in this thick mucus like substance that I have never seen before.

Besides the Anthias, all have this fish have literally just perished before my eyes. What could be causing this??
Where website are you buying them?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like velvet or brook. Clear pics and video will help. Do not add any more fish. Fresh water dips can give brief relief while you set up treatment tank for QT.

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like velvet or brook. Clear pics and video will help. Do not add any more fish. Fresh water dips can give brief relief while you set up treatment tank for QT.
There’s been no evidence of anything though. Perfectly healthy looking fish. The helfrichi was eating 1 hr prior. Only weird thing was he went to his cave maybe 30 minutes early and I found him 1 hour after lights out dead and covered in slime

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluezooaquatics. These are year+ fish dying before my eyes now
They do not qt fish I'm pretty sure. I had to get confirmation from my lfs that they qt their fish. It is most likely brook. Like the other commenter stated, Set a qt ASAP

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not qt fish I'm pretty sure. I had to get confirmation from my lfs that they qt their fish. It is most likely brook. Like the other commenter stated, Set a qt ASAP
Does brook cause random death without any warning or signs?

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s been no evidence of anything though. Perfectly healthy looking fish. The helfrichi was eating 1 hr prior. Only weird thing was he went to his cave maybe 30 minutes early and I found him 1 hour after lights out dead and covered in slime
Does brook cause random death without any warning or signsD?
Yes. Depends on how severe it is.

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was fish appearance? Was slime coming out such as this?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-17 222442.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-17 222442.png
    319.4 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that little abrasion in the center is new but it could have been the nassarius snails on him. The slime was clear and long and stringy

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So brooknella could cause a fish to die within 2 hours of everything appearing normal?

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually thinking back the barnacle blenny was acting weird. It wasn’t in a hole. Was hanging at the bottom and had a very small amount of whitish gunk on his dorsal fin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Will be hard to tell without more info.
How did you acclimate them and for how long?
The pic wont help as the fish is dead and can have been attacked by cleaner crew.
Were fish eating?
Were they active or lethargic?

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that little abrasion in the center is new but it could have been the nassarius snails on him. The slime was clear and long and stringy
Many reasons why it might of died. Keep anaylzying

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be hard to tell without more info.
How did you acclimate them and for how long?
The pic wont help as the fish is dead and can have been attacked by cleaner crew.
Were fish eating?
Were they active or lethargic?
The fish were acclimated probably for an hour or so and I just slowly poured out and added small amounts of tank water to the bag. The mccoskers and even the leopard wrasse ate that first day. The Anthias was immediately bullied by my tang but thought it would subside. The mccoskers died the next day and was just a mass of clear slime when I found him. I have never seen something like it. Then I realized the Anthias was looking bad so I moved him to qt but he quickly died of fin rot. The leopard wrasse then died on Thursday. The barnacle blenny ate in the morning and then died this afternoon. The helfrichi ate throughout the day and died tonight. I would say he was breathing a little heavy and was holding his fins pretty close. No fish besides the anthias have shown any clear signs of disease. Maybe the little white gunk on the blenny?

Could this be ammonia toxicity. I will run out and get a test first thing. I just didn’t see the point in buying another test because this rock is so established

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The fish were acclimated probably for an hour or so and I just slowly poured out and added small amounts of tank water to the bag. The mccoskers and even the leopard wrasse ate that first day. The Anthias was immediately bullied by my tang but thought it would subside. The mccoskers died the next day and was just a mass of clear slime when I found him. I have never seen something like it. Then I realized the Anthias was looking bad so I moved him to qt but he quickly died of fin rot. The leopard wrasse then died on Thursday. The barnacle blenny ate in the morning and then died this afternoon. The helfrichi ate throughout the day and died tonight. I would say he was breathing a little heavy and was holding his fins pretty close. No fish besides the anthias have shown any clear signs of disease. Maybe the little white gunk on the blenny?

Could this be ammonia toxicity. I will run out and get a test first thing. I just didn’t see the point in buying another test because this rock is so established
Ammonia, brook or false readings

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back