Fish Poo is the Magic coral food that's FREE

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks really great. I like it very nice. Awesome keeping those fish alive so long. What gorgonian is that called?
Orange Tree non photosynthetic. Started on Roids about a year ago, was going downhill after about 3 months, Phytoplankton brought it back.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go anyway @Wolverine
It's nothing special, and I don't mask it, but it all lives and thrives... it works. The Yellow Tang, Ocellaris, and Three stripe are all 17 years old. The Coral Beauty 4 and The Eibli 4 months in, no loses other than an Anthia last year I couldn't keep up with. I don't dose, nor feed other than live phtyo.
20210326_175916.jpg
20210313_230638.jpg
20210313_230606.jpg
20210307_144317.jpg

Here you go anyway @Wolverine
It's nothing special, and I don't mask it, but it all lives and thrives... it works. The Yellow Tang, Ocellaris, and Three stripe are all 17 years old. The Coral Beauty 4 and The Eibli 4 months in, no loses other than an Anthia last year I couldn't keep up with. I don't dose, nor feed other than live phtyo.
20210326_175916.jpg
20210313_230638.jpg
20210313_230606.jpg
20210307_144317.jpg

20210326_175927.jpg
And YOU @N.Sreefer , I want pics of your reef in your own thread or DM, or here....whatever. Otherwise I am forced to make another trip out to Halifax /Dartmouth and tour the pubs, watch the ocean, raid your home for various corals and fish . The choice is yours....lol

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever seen my corals "eating" is when i put something directly on them or if fish poop lands directly on them, and the entire coral will close up and the food gets pushed into its mouth. can they even filter feed? I think when i broadcast feed, i've never seen my corals close up unless they catch something obvious. I'm talking mainly LPSs tho.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever seen my corals "eating" is when i put something directly on them or if fish poop lands directly on them, and the entire coral will close up and the food gets pushed into its mouth. can they even filter feed? I think when i broadcast feed, i've never seen my corals close up unless they catch something obvious. I'm talking mainly LPSs tho.
I think if you go look at your corals a few hours after lights out you will see them all feeding with there whatever they are called extened. Totally differrent at night. Look late at nigh with a flashlight at all your corals

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do filter feed, off their own symbiotic zooanthiyle (sp) , those zoo's get fed off of the 'poop ' excess food/nitrates , and phtyto .....some do relish a supplemental feed of some chunky stuff direct fed, but I do that occasionally. Trace elements help....this is all said from a purely LFS experience here....SPS? Well....

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you go look at your corals a few hours after lights out you will see them all feeding with there whatever they are called extened. Totally differrent at night. Look late at nigh with a flashlight at all your corals
I def do see that. i just never know if they actually catch stuff lol. After hours, it usually looks like they are in sleep mode with some of their feeder tentacles out, then they just slowly close all the way for the night.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I def do see that. i just never know if they actually catch stuff lol. After hours, it usually looks like they are in sleep mode with some of their feeder tentacles out, then they just slowly close all the way for the night.
yes they catching something because i think something is stimulating that response but i could be little wrong on that

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And YOU @N.Sreefer , I want pics of your reef in your own thread or DM, or here....whatever. Otherwise I am forced to make another trip out to Halifax /Dartmouth and tour the pubs, watch the ocean, raid your home for various corals and fish . The choice is yours....lol
Hahah youd be welcome any time! But id suggest visiting after I get my greenhouse up (saving for 3 750 gal fiberglass tanks). Ill post a bunch of pics this weekend after a full clean ive been slacking so much salt creep on the glass. Apparently fish epithelium mucus is very good for water quality and bacterial population ive seen a few studies mentioning that in reference to salmon farms. It would be interesting to see how much of that shed mucus is consumed by coral.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah youd be welcome any time! But id suggest visiting after I get my greenhouse up (saving for 3 750 gal fiberglass tanks). Ill post a bunch of pics this weekend after a full clean ive been slacking so much salt creep on the glass. Apparently fish epithelium mucus is very good for water quality and bacterial population ive seen a few studies mentioning that in reference to salmon farms. It would be interesting to see how much of that shed mucus is consumed by coral.
This is interesting! I know out in PEI they do the salmon farms combined with mussel farms, right next to each other. Do you know is this similar in NS ? Seems to be a really effective way to keep the ocean clean, and fish not swimming in their own poop. Sorry to hijack @Wolverine but it is a poop thread after all lol.
Most of our mussels in grocer here come from either PEI or Newf. They are an important component of my homemade frozen mix.

And THREE 750 gal tanks???? Wow...I am coming to see your mini Ripleys Aquarium one day lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back