Fish prices are insane!

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally visited my LFS after 6 weeks cause of covid-19 and was looking to buy a nice blue throat trigger male..they usually run around $69 and I almost fell down when I saw the price today at $158...these prices are insane, not only is this virus going to drive business bankruptcies but the pricing surely will

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally visited my LFS after 6 weeks cause of covid-19 and was looking to buy a nice blue throat trigger male..they usually run around $69 and I almost fell down when I saw the price today at $158...these prices are insane, not only is this virus going to drive business bankruptcies but the pricing surely will
I have seen a lot of the opposite. I went out yesterday looking for wrasses. I was expecting to spend $100-$200 per fish. I ended up getting 6 wrasses for a total of $220. I was thrilled with the prices!

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a lot of the opposite. I went out yesterday looking for wrasses. I was expecting to spend $100-$200 per fish. I ended up getting 6 wrasses for a total of $220. I was thrilled with the prices!
What part of the country are you in? I paid $350 for 2 wrasses and I want more but can't find the ones I want

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe their costs have increased? Will they read this thread and sell it to you for less?

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might also depend on their wholesale people are and what they’re doing during all this craziness. I’m sure things will start to settle as things reopen.

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe their costs have increased? Will they read this thread and sell it to you for less?
It’s their wholesale pricing, not blaming them at all just feel sorry for them cause at those prices they are not going to be selling much and they know that

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a dragon soul torch last week for a killer deal, but while talking to the owner he said that his prices from the whole seller have gone up 60% . I dont think it's the LFS that's at fault. It's that their prices have gone up considerably.

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS does fresh and saltwater and he's all out of saltwater livestock and said wholesalers havent been shipping anymore. I'm sure it depends on the wholesaler but I think some of these LFS and Wholesalers are afraid customs might hold packages resulting in more DOA

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last time i was in my lfs about 2 weeks ago they only had about 2 tanks with fish out of the 15 or so they have dunno if they just stopped buying them or what its a small lfs i think they buy all corals off locals and they have about a 300g dt im sure they frag out of

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty the reason for increased cost is air freight on nearly empty airplanes. 95% of the air traffic nationwide is gone. The normal air traffic world wide uses 24,000 planes a day. Now over 16,000 of those planes are parked and many will never fly again period due to age and the cost to keep them usable. Most fish move with extra space on passenger aircraft. So canceled flights mean lack of supply and the only movement is on higher priced shippers like FedEx and UPS. I got quotes for 25 lbs of live rock to the Midwest via Delta airfreight at $70.00 and the same shipping via the other two was $285.00. See the problem here? We currently have no air service even though I live 6 miles from an airport that I used to receive Fish, rock and inverts all the time. Now the closest airfreight is 100 miles away and has no regular service. Fish would be very hit and miss. Most people in the industry do not want to take the chance of a dead shipment. This is affecting freshwater less due to some regional wholesalers who can deliver in limited areas via truck.

Supply chain is completely broken due the very reduced air passenger service. It is possible we will never see a recovery as the supply chain is broken all the way to the fish collectors and farms. Many other businesses are affected as well. Even the postal service purchases space on passenger planes...no way to compete with full air freight services since they have to charge much higher prices per pound since the passenger is not providing profits to the aircraft.

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty the reason for increased cost is air freight on nearly empty airplanes. 95% of the air traffic nationwide is gone. The normal air traffic world wide uses 24,000 planes a day. Now over 16,000 of those planes are parked and many will never fly again period due to age and the cost to keep them usable. Most fish move with extra space on passenger aircraft. So canceled flights mean lack of supply and the only movement is on higher priced shippers like FedEx and UPS. I got quotes for 25 lbs of live rock to the Midwest via Delta airfreight at $70.00 and the same shipping via the other two was $285.00. See the problem here? We currently have no air service even though I live 6 miles from an airport that I used to receive Fish, rock and inverts all the time. Now the closest airfreight is 100 miles away and has no regular service. Fish would be very hit and miss. Most people in the industry do not want to take the chance of a dead shipment. This is affecting freshwater less due to some regional wholesalers who can deliver in limited areas via truck.

Supply chain is completely broken due the very reduced air passenger service. It is possible we will never see a recovery as the supply chain is broken all the way to the fish collectors and farms. Many other businesses are affected as well. Even the postal service purchases space on passenger planes...no way to compete with full air freight services since they have to charge much higher prices per pound since the passenger is not providing profits to the aircraft.
This is very interesting and understandable now after reading this...thanks for your input...

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 8.49.54 PM.png

JulianHuntToronto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices in Toronto are crazy right now as well. As most of the corals/fish/inverts come from LA or Florida to here, the owner of the LFS says freight costs are tripled, though he is keeping most of the prices at before Covid-19 pricing with what he already had in stock. Another store is selling Rock Flower Anemones for $175 per item and Emerald crabs for $40 for one about the size of my thumbnail.