Fish randomly dead

Sr96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I left my Fluval sea Evo this morning with a happy/ heathy Royal Gramma and Clownfish but came home to them both dead! I have two corals in the tank (1 frogspawn and 1 hammer). These have slowly been retreating lately so I have been checking water parameters more frequently and a few days ago everything was okay. I mostly attributed it to my new light I got last week (AI Prime 16 HD) as I have been playing around with it to see what settings work best. However, those now are also almost completely retreated. I’m going to check water parameters shortly to see if anything all of a sudden spiked. In the meantime I was just looking for suggestions on where to go from here, if it’s a parameter problem do I just have to fix it? Or do I let it cycle some more? Do I need to add anything? Etc… I started the tank 02/21 and the only issues I’ve had is the different stages of nuisance algae, which I currently have hair algae. Lastly, my CUC which is consisted of different snails seem to still be chugging along.

Thanks!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what to do

pull all remaining fish out

don’t add any back until you run the preps against disease found by reading the stickies in the fish disease forum. new tanks will lose fish by disease, simply from skipping fallow and qt.

all questions about fallow and qt are found in the fish disease forum but can’t be discerned at a glance. Two days of direct study there will do however. There is nothing you can dose to the tank to avoid doing this work- dosers aren’t in the sticky list we can see there. Qt and fallow sure is

OP
OP
S

Sr96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what to do

pull all remaining fish out

don’t add any back until you run the preps against disease found by reading the stickies in the fish disease forum. new tanks will lose fish by disease, simply from skipping fallow and qt.

all questions about fallow and qt are found in the fish disease forum but can’t be discerned at a glance. Two days of direct study there will do however. There is nothing you can dose to the tank to avoid doing this work- dosers aren’t in the sticky list we can see there. Qt and fallow sure is
I removed them, those were my only two fish in the tank

OP
OP
S

Sr96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I left my Fluval sea Evo this morning with a happy/ heathy Royal Gramma and Clownfish but came home to them both dead! I have two corals in the tank (1 frogspawn and 1 hammer). These have slowly been retreating lately so I have been checking water parameters more frequently and a few days ago everything was okay. I mostly attributed it to my new light I got last week (AI Prime 16 HD) as I have been playing around with it to see what settings work best. However, those now are also almost completely retreated. I’m going to check water parameters shortly to see if anything all of a sudden spiked. In the meantime I was just looking for suggestions on where to go from here, if it’s a parameter problem do I just have to fix it? Or do I let it cycle some more? Do I need to add anything? Etc… I started the tank 02/21 and the only issues I’ve had is the different stages of nuisance algae, which I currently have hair algae. Lastly, my CUC which is consisted of different snails seem to still be chugging along.

Thanks!
Pic of the fish… dots are just sand as they both were lying in it

Attachments

• 9C2F0CA4-5119-411E-BC81-91B5AD40B460.jpeg
    9C2F0CA4-5119-411E-BC81-91B5AD40B460.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 33

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp - 80 F
Salinity - 1.024
pH - 8.4
Ammonia - 0
OK thanks. Sorry for your loss.
Best guess with limited information is that you lost them to disease. Per Brandon's point, your tank with coral and CUC inverts must remain fish-free (fish fallow) for a period of time in order to outlast any disease vectors in the tank like ich. The fish disease forum has sticky threads at the top that are very educational, so I advise that you read those. In the meantime, feed your CUC some sinking pellets or whatever to keep them from starving and try to enjoy them and your corals. Sorry again about your fish and better luck with your next try!

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found myself in the same situation. Just bought a qt tank. For the future. Currently tank is coral, which is growing and looking great. And inverts.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t rule out a lack of oxygen. Unless you are dosing kalk, a pH of 8.4 isn’t likely (also isn’t harmful). I suspect your pH is actually much lower, and you might have a lack of oxygen for various reasons.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back