Fish Room - HVAC/Mini Split ?

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
I have a fresh + Reef system in my garage (approximately 200 sq ft) and almost 8-10 tanks (total of 700G + fresh and salt systems - approx 50/50).

Temperature control has been a problem of mine as even though in So Cal - coastal can see plenty of temperature swing (even though garage being pretty decently insulated ) - Temp can swing from high 40's to 100). I am looking for a central heating and cooling system to keep my garage temperature stable.

Does anyone has experience with a mini-split, Pros-cons. it will be used for Heating + cooling both. Also what is the operating cost to run a unit like this?

Any other alternates ? CHeaper and energy efficient?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Daikin mini split system I had installed for an office at work works great. I did not need the heat option just ac only.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, a ductless unit is the way to go.

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
I have a fresh + Reef system in my garage (approximately 200 sq ft) and almost 8-10 tanks (total of 700G + fresh and salt systems - approx 50/50).

Temperature control has been a problem of mine as even though in So Cal - coastal can see plenty of temperature swing (even though garage being pretty decently insulated ) - Temp can swing from high 40's to 100). I am looking for a central heating and cooling system to keep my garage temperature stable.

Does anyone has experience with a mini-split, Pros-cons. it will be used for Heating + cooling both. Also what is the operating cost to run a unit like this?

Any other alternates ? CHeaper and energy efficient?

I've got my trusted "AC guy" coming out to my house soon to discuss the same topic with me. I've got about the same amount of square footage as you and about 700 gallons of salt water to deal with. I'll follow-along and let you know what they recommend. For what it's worth, I've read good reviews of folks using mini-splits. They seem to hold-up against the salt water better than window or mobile units.

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a split system installed in my house beginning of summer. Love it so far. Very controllable. Would highly recommend. Cost efficient on monthly electricity bills. However, start up cost is hilariously high.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @rsumner - please do let me know when you receive a feedback. My question will also be about heating + cooling cost vs running heaters/chillers in salt water tank(s).

I have around 5 systems (7 tanks - some are interconnected).

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @rsumner - please do let me know when you receive a feedback. My question will also be about heating + cooling cost vs running heaters/chillers in salt water tank(s).

Sorry, I doubt operating costs compared to in-tank options will come up in my discussions. Maybe someone else can assist if they've done these types of comparisons.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Split units are the most efficient means of cooling down a room. The ones with heat pump have a reversing valve and can be used as heaters in the cold months.

Hope this helps.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For what it's worth, I have friends with mini spits here in Connecticut. They say it's cheaper to heat than electricity/oil.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One option for heat is a sealed Natural gas heater, a simple 6" hole cored on the side of the garage and run a gas line to the heater, no electricity needed. AC of course. These units are sealed so no salt water corrosion. These heaters are not the tall one you see in apartments but look more like a 35" TV so rectangle. Electricity is very expensive in Ca. natural gas is dirt cheap.

Ashley25,000 BTU Direct Vent Propane Heater

Something like this, I believe they can be found for less.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have mine running for 4 months now, new england. 600 sq ft mbr addition 15 ft ceilings. At 45 outside, it averages 300 watts continuous for 67 deg ambient. At 25 deg it averages 500. Watts. No experience with ac yet, but anticipate more efficiency. Google Gree sapphire. I say averages since it runs for 15 minutes at 1500 watts, then is off for 30 minutes.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back