FISH VANISHED WITHOUT A TRACE! PLEASE READ FULLY

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, today I added a Yasha goby, a rock flower nem and 2 common hermit crabs to my 10 gallon tank. The tank currently has 1 firefish, 1 green clown goby, a small rock flower nem, 3 cerith snails, 3 bumble bee snails and alot of very red bristle worms (they are far more red than brown).

I added the Yasha goby at around 2pm, and saw him for about 5 minutes, then he disappeared, I didn't think too much about it because I figured it had just gone into hiding, but the day went by and I still didn't see him once, so I got a little nervous.

In normal situations, a new fish hiding for a few days wouldn't bother me, it's normal, except this isn't the first time a fish has vanished without a trace in this tank....

A few months ago, I had added a single bluestripe pipefish to the same tank, it was alone with just rock and snails, then after about a month, it vanished into thin air, never to be seen again, never found a body.

So because of this, I got anxious enough to tear up the entire tank looking for the Yasha goby, I just wanted to see him, dead or alive to ease my anxiety and give me closure.

When I tore apart the tank I found nothing, I uncovered every rock, found nothing except alot of bristle worms, I tore apart my filter to see if he got sucked in, not in there, I checked on the floor to see if he jumped out, even though I have a strong lid, no body on the floor.

So after searching for him, I'm even more anxious because I didn't even find a sign of him, it's not a big tank, it's 10 gallons, he should have been found dead or alive when I tore apart the tank, I added him HOURS AGO.

I acclimated him properly, he was swimming around fine for the first five minutes, then seemingly out on nowhere he vanished. My only theory is that the bristle worms hunted him and ate him very fast or I have a bobbitt worm on the loose.

What I do know is that he did not jump out, he did not get eaten by an anemone and he did not get sucked into my filter. He also did not die of water quality issues.

Any advice would be appreciated, I'll attach a video of the goby the last time I saw him. I hope he turns up alive, or even dead, I just can't handle the mystery.

Attachments

• Snapchat-908949893.mp4
    5.4 MB

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a similar story of a yasha going into a tiny hole in the rock to hide. Perhaps it’s the same case for you. Hope you find him.

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a similar story of a yasha going into a tiny hole in the rock to hide. Perhaps it’s the same case for you. Hope you find him.
I really really hope so, but I feel like it wouldve swam out after i took the tank apart

99problemsandatankisone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gobies (while not Specifically Yasha) love to hide in the holes within the live rock. They bury so deep into such small holes you can’t even tell they are in the rock!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They can sneak through overdoes, jump and likely within a rock you move due to being either afraid or intimidated

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really really hope so, but I feel like it wouldve swam out after i took the tank apart

I had a tailspot blenny that I had a heck of a time getting out of a rock. Took the rock out of water, dangled his hole in the water, took it back out etc. It was in my observation tank before going into my DT. It would poke it's head out, so I knew it was in there. I took all the other rocks and fish out, but left him and the rock he was in. Luckily after a few minutes I saw him leave the rock looking around and I immediately pulled the rock out, then caught him.

So in my experience, they don't' come out, they hide more. It wasn't until the rock was back in the water that he came out.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, today I added a Yasha goby, a rock flower nem and 2 common hermit crabs to my 10 gallon tank. The tank currently has 1 firefish, 1 green clown goby, a small rock flower nem, 3 cerith snails, 3 bumble bee snails and alot of very red bristle worms (they are far more red than brown).

I added the Yasha goby at around 2pm, and saw him for about 5 minutes, then he disappeared, I didn't think too much about it because I figured it had just gone into hiding, but the day went by and I still didn't see him once, so I got a little nervous.

In normal situations, a new fish hiding for a few days wouldn't bother me, it's normal, except this isn't the first time a fish has vanished without a trace in this tank....

A few months ago, I had added a single bluestripe pipefish to the same tank, it was alone with just rock and snails, then after about a month, it vanished into thin air, never to be seen again, never found a body.

So because of this, I got anxious enough to tear up the entire tank looking for the Yasha goby, I just wanted to see him, dead or alive to ease my anxiety and give me closure.

When I tore apart the tank I found nothing, I uncovered every rock, found nothing except alot of bristle worms, I tore apart my filter to see if he got sucked in, not in there, I checked on the floor to see if he jumped out, even though I have a strong lid, no body on the floor.

So after searching for him, I'm even more anxious because I didn't even find a sign of him, it's not a big tank, it's 10 gallons, he should have been found dead or alive when I tore apart the tank, I added him HOURS AGO.

I acclimated him properly, he was swimming around fine for the first five minutes, then seemingly out on nowhere he vanished. My only theory is that the bristle worms hunted him and ate him very fast or I have a bobbitt worm on the loose.

What I do know is that he did not jump out, he did not get eaten by an anemone and he did not get sucked into my filter. He also did not die of water quality issues.

Any advice would be appreciated, I'll attach a video of the goby the last time I saw him. I hope he turns up alive, or even dead, I just can't handle the mystery.
I’m sure he is in a hole Hopefully he did not go into small hole that you have now covered up by re organizing the rock scape

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ureka! I kept moving things around and finally found him. He was like 2 inches under the sand, ALIVE

Attachments

• IMG_20210224_211814133.jpg
    IMG_20210224_211814133.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 87

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful. All of this moving rocks and such can stress them out ALOT. Fish can hide anywhere and everywhere. I even had a medium six line that fit in a hole and didn’t come out when I took the rock out.

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's gone back into hiding, ill leave him alone now. i just find it weird that he was sleeping in the sandbed like a wrasse.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just imagine you're sleeping in bed under the covers in your brand new house that you really don't like much. you've finally sucked it up and said ok I guess this is it I might as well go to bed. close your eyes for about 10 minutes into a deep sleep and some giant alien rips off your roof looks at you says something you don't understand starts laughing and walks away.

that's what just happened to your fish.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back