Sohal tang= lets no one eat and nasty
Hadoni carpet nem- Stings everything in site

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many corals on the sandbed. They would get sand all over coral a good 6+ inches up on the rock. They were stirring the sandbed looking for food.

My Blue Star Leopard only disturbs the sand when going into it at night and out of it in the morning. Other than that it leaves the sand alone.

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock beauty. I had one that sort of fell into my hands. Didn’t know what it was and just added him to the tank. Dude ate pellets and whatever other garbage I threw in. Then I ID’d him and realized he shouldn’t even be alive, by most accounts. Never once provided sponge nor did he nip corals.

Died In QT when got trapped under a rock, would never repeat just because of the eating habits they supposedly have.

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scarus quoyi dwarf parrot fish. They are a beautiful fish and that breed is reef/coral safe. Mine was very small and didn’t grow much. The problem I had is he pooped all day long and made the sand look like crap all the time. After a year and six months, I traded him out. He’s in a 500 gallon tank now (vs my 109g) and has much more room to spread out his poop everywhere.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have two clowns currently, so I don't have much input. I do wonder why so many people are saying they wouldn't want another clown.
I will say of the Clownfish I have owned or cared for (at an LFS) Tomatoes and Maroons can become VERY aggressive. Relentlessly aggressive. I have never had trouble with ocellaris, Clarkii or bicinctus, even in tight quarters (though others have).

I know this is too late for you, @Bleigh , but often I find people set up their tanks and the first fish they add are Clownfish. The reality is they are often aggressive, especially in breeding pairs. It is best to add the more timid fish first so they establish their homes and territories before adding Clowns or other aggressive fish.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say of the Clownfish I have owned or cared for (at an LFS) Tomatoes and Maroons can become VERY aggressive. Relentlessly aggressive. I have never had trouble with ocellaris, Clarkii or bicinctus, even in tight quarters (though others have).

I know this is too late for you, @Bleigh , but often I find people set up their tanks and the first fish they add are Clownfish. The reality is they are often aggressive, especially in breeding pairs. It is best to add the more timid fish first so they establish their homes and territories before adding Clowns or other aggressive fish.

Good to know! I just purchased a 60 gallon cube. I was going to move the inhabitants of the biocube over to it when it was ready for them... The clowns will likely stay in their current home until I am nearly done stocking the new cube :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I just purchased a 60 gallon cube. I was going to move the inhabitants of the biocube over to it when it was ready for them... The clowns will likely stay in their current home until I am nearly done stocking the new cube :)
Great plan and congratulations on the new tank!

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is everyone against six lines? I've had 2 and never had issues, but my current one is really tiny. It was less than an inch long when I bought him and he's still less than 2".

I have never had a sixline so I do not really know. I have had damsel tanks and I always thought they were a lot of fun. I have not had damsels after getting back into this with all the new coral, but I have started to wonder if mixed damsel only tank might be a good choice for a reef tank. In spite of having had good luck with them in the past, I have been afraid to get any again (other than oscellaris). I sometimes wonder if there may be more to it. It could be that not all sixlines are evil either. I will say, I have a flasher, and even though he does not seem to bite, he is the most aggressive fish in the tank. I think most of these 'evil' fish can be had and be fun if you design a tank for it.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Couldn't agree more. I generally only recommend Occ or Percula variety clowns for community tanks and even then I recommend they are added last or near last.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is everyone against six lines? I've had 2 and never had issues, but my current one is really tiny. It was less than an inch long when I bought him and he's still less than 2".

When they mature they often turn into pescacidal maniacs. Lots of people report no issues until about the 1.5-2 year mark depending on it's size when they got it. After that it's like a Jekyll and Hyde switch. Add in the fact that the fish can be tricky to catch and it's just an all around bad idea. They do have their purpose though, great for little frag tanks, just not community tanks.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've had all three of these together in a 75g for many years, and have never had any real issues with any of them.
I added Zebrasoma Tangs to my list because I don't like the energy they bring into an aquarium of 4 ft long or less. They are aggressive constantly pacing, constantly driving other fish out of their area. It stresses me out to watch them. My current tank has no Tangs, just a Foxface and it's a very peaceful, calm tank. A number of people have quoted me stating "I've never had a problem". OK great. It's my opinion and my experience. Yours may differ.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, Bouncingsoul39, that pacing is something that bothers me too. But my Scopas has never done that. So yes, our experiences do differ.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Domino damsel, worst thing for me so far, purple tang next, chased 6 Bartlett's anthias our of my tanks and caused the other six to hide until I caught them any put them in a new home. And let’s not forget the coral beauty, devil in disguise. He aided the purple tang in the shenanigans.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a domino... his name is "d'bag" because it's not PC to call him "d*uche-bag" in front of my children; he bites me when he can. I used to have a 3-stripe; he was also a jackarse. He lived in exile with the teddy bear crab (who is NOT a jerk, and has actually been allowed to move into the DT); the teddy bear crab eventually got tired of the 3 stripe's attitude and caused a rock slide which killed the damsel; he then ate him.
I have a yellowtail damsel that is a pitbull, always biting me when I’m cleaning tank, even when I try to catch him. Hate to say that I still love that a..hole. I have the terrible 3, purple tang, black percula clown pair and two yellow tail damsels and oh, let’s not forget the :mad: coral beauty. He flushes out the fish that hides so the purple tang can hammer him and the rest seals the deal.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back