Fishless cycle questions

cleverrev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am setting up my first reef tank and decided to go with Dr. Tims fishless cycle. I am currently on day 5 and the ammonia is not dropping, and there is no sign of nitrite or nitrates. Based on the daily plan from Dr. Tims, the ammonia should be dropping. Here's what I did so far:

Day 1: Added the bacteria (4 capfuls of a 2oz bottle based on the instructions). Then waited and added 2ppm of ammonia.
Day 2: Tested and was at 2ppm of ammonia and 0 on everything else.
Day 3: Added 2ppm of ammonia (based on the plan from Dr Tims). Still 0 on nitrites and nitrate.
Day 4: Tested out at 4ppm of ammonia and 0 of everything else.
Day 5: Test out at 4ppm of ammonia and 0 of everything else.

I understand patience is key but my concern is that I didn't add enough bacteria to begin with. The bottle said 2 capfuls per 10 gallons and I have a 20 gallon tank so I added 4. Then I watched a YouTube video with Dr. Tim and he was just pouring a bunch right from the bottle into a small tank. I poured the rest of my small 2oz bottle in but perhaps ammonia was too high at that point.

Wondering if I should do a 50% water change and re-seed with bacteria, or just wait it out. Any advice would be awesome, TIA!

One additional question I had was around test kits. I'm currently using the API kits which I'm now hearing are not the best. I don't mind getting different tests or even going with the Hanna devices, but I'm not sure if it's worth the investment. Are people still testing for Nitrite in mature tanks? Any advice on better brands?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am setting up my first reef tank and decided to go with Dr. Tims fishless cycle. I am currently on day 5 and the ammonia is not dropping, and there is no sign of nitrite or nitrates. Based on the daily plan from Dr. Tims, the ammonia should be dropping. Here's what I did so far:

Day 1: Added the bacteria (4 capfuls of a 2oz bottle based on the instructions). Then waited and added 2ppm of ammonia.
Day 2: Tested and was at 2ppm of ammonia and 0 on everything else.
Day 3: Added 2ppm of ammonia (based on the plan from Dr Tims). Still 0 on nitrites and nitrate.
Day 4: Tested out at 4ppm of ammonia and 0 of everything else.
Day 5: Test out at 4ppm of ammonia and 0 of everything else.

I understand patience is key but my concern is that I didn't add enough bacteria to begin with. The bottle said 2 capfuls per 10 gallons and I have a 20 gallon tank so I added 4. Then I watched a YouTube video with Dr. Tim and he was just pouring a bunch right from the bottle into a small tank. I poured the rest of my small 2oz bottle in but perhaps ammonia was too high at that point.

Wondering if I should do a 50% water change and re-seed with bacteria, or just wait it out. Any advice would be awesome, TIA!

One additional question I had was around test kits. I'm currently using the API kits which I'm now hearing are not the best. I don't mind getting different tests or even going with the Hanna devices, but I'm not sure if it's worth the investment. Are people still testing for Nitrite in mature tanks? Any advice on better brands?
If getting coral eventually then nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, and ph will be needed. Salifert, red sea or hanna all work well. As far as the cycle goes just be patient. If you want faster get some fritz turbo. Don't add more ammonia until it zeros out.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did a fishless cycle, I only added 2ppm of ammonia and it took 4 days to drop to 1ppm but 11 days to get to zero. Hope this helps but yes patience is the key.

OP
OP
C

cleverrev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so things have progressed! Lots of changes.

On day 7 my ammonia had dropped to 2ppm and I was seeing some nitrites and a little nitrate. According the the Dr. Tims plan, I was due to add ammonia as long as my Ammonia and Nitrites were below 5ppm. I added 2ppm of ammonia drops.

Since then (now on day 9) Ammonia is sitting at 4ppm, Nitrite is at 5ppm, and Nitrates are at 160ppm.

Should I continue to wait it out, or should I do a water change of some sort since the nitrates are so high (max on the API test kit)?

Thanks in advance!

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you are adding more ammonia, all your doing is creating a huge nitrate end result in which you will have to change a huge amount of water.

OP
OP
C

cleverrev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you are adding more ammonia, all your doing is creating a huge nitrate end result in which you will have to change a huge amount of water.
Just following the instructions laid out in Dr. Tim’s cycle chart. I’ve never cycled a tank before so I figured following a well respected and documented process was a good idea. So I should jump ship on Dr. Tim’s instructions and do a water change?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change most of the water. Test ammonia the and nitrate the day after.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just wait at this point and let the ammonia drop to zero. You might have to add more bacteria if the ammonia does not budge after 4-5 days. But after your nitrite and ammonia goes to zero, yes you will have to change a lot of the water to bring down the nitrate.

OP
OP
C

cleverrev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys my ammonia has been at zero for a few days now but the Nitrites are over 5ppm and the Nitrates are at 160ppm.

I have been reading many posts on the forum that state things like "nitrites don't matter for cycling" etc. Also things like the API test kits will showI false nitrite readings etc.

Is my cycle done and now I need a massive water change? There seems to be quite a bit of conflicting information out there.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your feedback!

Also I was planning to add GSP to my tank but perhaps I should reconsider based on your avatar :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
It ruined my tank

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30% water change is plenty for now. There is no use stressing the system with a bigger one. Then ignore nitrite and nitrate readings for a while. Simply start slowly stocking the tank, feeding lightly at first, and watching for ammonia spikes.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30% water change is plenty for now. There is no use stressing the system with a bigger one. Then ignore nitrite and nitrate readings for a while. Simply start slowly stocking the tank, feeding lightly at first, and watching for ammonia spikes.
Nothing is in the tank to be stressed. Best time to eliminate excess nitrate

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose we're splitting hairs. The bacteria the OP has cultivated can be stressed. Whatever quantity of water is changed, it would be best to do so carefully.
The bacteria that's already on the rocks isn't going anywhere. The actual water doesn't have anything more beneficial pre water change. @brandon429 is there anything to show water changes can harm the environment being created?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Small water changes are more effective than one large change as you are removing both bacteria and traces in the water. The large change however will drop the nitrate . Assure to use reliable test kits to confirm you are in a safe range

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back