Fishless Cycling Help

Bmw015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Not new to saltwater tanks, but definitely new to fishless cycling. I added Dr. Tims Ammonia and One and Only March 2nd. At the time, Ammonia read 4ppm. I have since not added ammonia because ammonia was still present. 3/9 at 1ppm and 3/14 at .75. Do I add more ammonia again? Where do I go from here?

in case you need to know:
Nitrite:
3/9 - 1ppm
3/14 - 3.5 ppm

Nitrate:
3/9 - 10ppm
3/14 - 20ppm

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add more if you wish. A general rule of thumb is: if it can process 1 to 2 ppm in 24 hours the tank is ready for a small fish or 2
Fishless cycle can take 1 week 2 weeks 3 weeks or 4. every tank is different. Amount of rock sand ect.....

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert but either add more bacteria or continue to wait.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound like things are progressing nicely. Dose it back up to 2ppm ammonia. Once you can get from 2ppm to 0 in 24 hours you're good. Do a very large water change before you add fish

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Not new to saltwater tanks, but definitely new to fishless cycling. I added Dr. Tims Ammonia and One and Only March 2nd. At the time, Ammonia read 4ppm. I have since not added ammonia because ammonia was still present. 3/9 at 1ppm and 3/14 at .75. Do I add more ammonia again? Where do I go from here?

in case you need to know:
Nitrite:
3/9 - 1ppm
3/14 - 3.5 ppm

Nitrate:
3/9 - 10ppm
3/14 - 20ppm

Presuming you are following Dr. Tim's fishless cycling method, you can add ammonia so long as nitrite remains below 5ppm. And you are cycled when your ammonia and nitrite reads 0 24 hours after dosing 2-3ppm ammonia.

But nitrite is not very dangerous to marine fish and stuff, so people do have different opinions on having to get nitrite to 0.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Frequently in this hobby we are told to do something without understanding the underlying reason and that is not a good thing. This is why so many people get discouraged with this hobby and leave. Please note: I feel fishless cycling is the ONLY way a tank should be prepared for fish.
The purpose of cycling is to build up the beneficial bacteria in a tank that feed off the waste materials of your fish/inverts. Without these present in great enough numbers, your fish will kill themselves with their own waste. By building up these bacteria prior to adding in fish, you avoid harming your fish. Unlike traditional cycling where a small amount of hearty fish are introduced into a tank, and slowly additional fish are added, fishless cycling (when properly performed) allows for a complete stocking of the tank at once. This is a huge benefit, and one which is often overlooked.

The 2 types of bacteria we are looking to grow convert ammonia (fish waste which is quite toxic) to nitrIte (actually more toxic than ammonia but not as long term damaging), and finally to nitrAte (relatively non-toxic unless allowed to build up to large amounts). So that’s:

ammonia—->nitrIte—>nitrAte

If you add too much, do a Partial water change to reduce the level, if you add too little, dose more. It doesn't need to be exact, but just aim for 3-5ppm. Every couple of days test the ammonia level, when it gets below 1ppm, add more ammonia to keep the level above 1ppm. Normally when I see it get below 1ppm, I dose 3-4ppm back in. Never let it go to zero (until the cycle is finished) or you risk killing off your ammonia to nitrIte bacteria! -Turn your heater up! Aim for 82-85F. This increased temperature speeds up the metabolism of the bacteria which reduces the cycle time.
Make sure the temp is stable before addition of fish.

OP
OP
Bmw015

Bmw015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound like things are progressing nicely. Dose it back up to 2ppm ammonia. Once you can get from 2ppm to 0 in 24 hours you're good. Do a very large water change before you add fish
How large? And would I add the fish immediately or wait 24 hours?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates are going to be through the roof when done. Best to get them in check before anything else. I think I did about a 75 or 80% when I did my 90 gallon.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycle is done, no more assistance needed. It was done on day ten in the current arrangement, that’s the date on the bottle too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back