F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Et voila...
Selfmade port hole.

17cm long for the 18-140mm Nikon zoom lens.
Inside diameter 88mm to fit above lens and the Nikon 105mm macro lens.
3 stainless steel bolts (will be replaced by plastic ones) to fix to the lens.
I used a pvc end pipe with wide opening for 4" pipe.
Still have to test it as I left it for the night with water inside to see if it glued well. If tomorrow I wake up with wet feet, something went wrong and you will hear about it.

But more important now... how are things going in the tank?
44d5f8bd58260644771d56beba056e65.jpg
35337d64066c4b605ab4f0b37904e33a.jpg
726ad50a269c7eb5b7661388d74e4b0a.jpg
6e3b31498f2a486d69f9edd90ffdfc6c.jpg

That looks really good Janci! You are tempting me to make my own camera box. I like how it is custom fitted to your camera.

The tank is doing really well, all my frags are encrusting. I did have a cyano outbreak because of my negligence to do a water change in 2 months. I am going to start doing 25 gallon water changes every 2 weeks.

I added a bunch of new fish

7 Bartlett Anthias
4 Chromis
1 Small Mystery Wrasse
1 small Leopard Wrasse
1 Potters Wrasse (died in 1 week :( )
1 Melanarus Wrasse (Have not seen him in one week, Coris Wrasse was bullying him)

Adding the Chromis and Bartlett anthias really made my tank look more lively. I took fish pictures and hosted them on photobucket. I was going to post an update yesterday but I just found out photobucket is now charging $400 to allow 3rd part hosting of pics!!! what the heck?

So if you guys can recommend me a new app/website for 3rd party hosting of photos I would greatly appreciate it. I took some fish pics with my Sony Alpha and 50mm Zeiss lens and they came out really good.

Fishnugget, Matt do you remember the camera settings to get these shots?
Trying to figure out the camera settings in aquarium use.

I get the best white balance when my T5's are on.

@Fishnugget hows the tank traveling?[/QUOTE]

Trying to post updates buy I need a 3rd parting photo hosting website. How is Imgur? Or google?

Thanks.
I also found this port hole from Building an Obsession:
http://buildinganobsession.com/products/top-down-camera-box
Good price but US shipping only... :oops:

I'll have to check that one out.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks really good Janci! You are tempting me to make my own camera box. I like how it is custom fitted to your camera.

The tank is doing really well, all my frags are encrusting. I did have a cyano outbreak because of my negligence to do a water change in 2 months. I am going to start doing 25 gallon water changes every 2 weeks.

I added a bunch of new fish

7 Bartlett Anthias
4 Chromis
1 Small Mystery Wrasse
1 small Leopard Wrasse
1 Potters Wrasse (died in 1 week :( )
1 Melanarus Wrasse (Have not seen him in one week, Coris Wrasse was bullying him)

Nice fish selection.
I love wrasse... and rimless. Unfortunately those 2 do not go well together.
Lost 2 wrasse last week due to jumping out of the tank.
I hope you have better luck.

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used an image hosting site so can't recommend any.
I've always used the upload image button on R2R and the other Aussie forum I post on.
But have you seen the new media section that's been added here? You can create albums and then add photos from there to your journal.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice fish selection.
I love wrasse... and rimless. Unfortunately those 2 do not go well together.
Lost 2 wrasse last week due to jumping out of the tank.
I hope you have better luck.

Yeah, I will eventually get a screen top for my build. I had a flame wrasse jump out as well.

I'd recommend Flickr wholeheartedly for uploading and sharing images, brilliant service

I will check out Flickr. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've never used an image hosting site so can't recommend any.
I've always used the upload image button on R2R and the other Aussie forum I post on.
But have you seen the new media section that's been added here? You can create albums and then add photos from there to your journal.

I have not checked it out. I will post pics using the photo options on reef2reef.

Teddyboy16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them from Ruralking.com. I bought two of them.

Here are the details.....

Item Details Ship Via Qty Price
Ace Roto Mold Rectangle Utility Tank SP0055-MM - 17210640 UPS Ground 2 $241.94
Subtotal: $241.94
Tax: $0.00
Discount: $0.00
Shipping: $27.22
Order Total: $269.16
Wow that's cheap shipping! Been looking all over for these tanks or ones similar but the shipping has always been expensive. I bookmarked it! :)

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, update long overdue.....

My apologies but life got in the way and my son needed a backyard landscaped. He began to walk and would point outside all day. This was during the hot summer months in Indio. Once it cooled down I decided I had to work on my backyard and add sod. I became a Weekend Warrior and did most of the work myself. :)

Here are some pics of what I was so consumed with...

Concrete curb laid down...

Sod Install, completed in 1.5 days. I went solo and my legs and back paid the price!!!

Final step

My little dood..
As you can see...I added sod but he liked the dirt better :)

However, before all the backyard landscaping, I had an alk spike and my tank slowly started dying off, as in all my SPS bleached and died. It was a horrible feeling....My corals were looking great then the dreaded alk spike. I won't lie, I lost hope but I finally decided to ditch my Maxi jet feed pump to my Geo Ca Rx and added a brand new Watson Marlow Peristaltic Pump to keep things rock solid stable. I am determined to bounce back.

I paid about 800 bucks for this brand new pump. I ordered larger diameter tubing and am waiting for it to arrive. Its currently using 1/8" ID neoprene tubing, I will change to 1/4" ID tubing.

I will post full tank pics tomorrow, but it is not pretty. I also grew some Aiptasia and this is making me want to add a Copper Band Butterfly fish again.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, did you start up the tank again after the ALK disaster?
I hope you did as the reef was spectacular.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, did you start up the tank again after the ALK disaster?
I hope you did as the reef was spectacular.

Hi Janci,

Thanks for inquiring. I left my tank running but I grew lots of aiptasia, bubble algae, and the dreaded vermetid snails. I added a Kliens butterflyfish and have no more aiptasia. I know the bubble algae will go away once the Ca reactor is stable and running. Its the vermetid snails that are a pain.

I will start up the tank again, and by that I mean adding coral. I figure leaving the tank running probably matured the tank and everything is probably more stable.

My crash happened because of my Calcium Reactor and my pH controller. The American Marine PinPoint pH controller failed on me and the pH reading was all over the place.
Luckily it was still under warranty so I contacted them and they sent me a new one, no questions asked. However, I will buy a second back up pH controller because I want to be prepared when this happens again.

I also believe I had an air leak within my Ca Reactor and it was difficult to find. I ditched the pan world pump and recently bought a sicce syncra 1.5 recommended by Schniztel who runs the same reactor. Right now I am trying to dial in the reactor with the new pump and it looks like I have succeeded. If I can get this reactor to be stable then the sky is the limit! Or my wallet is the limit! :D

I did lose all my coral but my fish and live rock live. Surprisingly, my two peppermint shrimps are still alive so I may opt to remove the Kleins Butterfly Fish because I don't want him nipping my future sps.

I need to get in touch with my supplier (Mr. V :D) he's got all the nice corals and start adding some of the simple sps frags to my tank. However, I want to make sure everything is stable before I start doing that. I will update soon, I just had to take a break because I landscaped my front and backyards to my house.

Last edited:

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I had a kleins butterfly for the exact same reason to get rid of my aiptasia, he did a great job. however after that, he started heavily nipping on my SPS so he is now in the FLOWR. Excited to see the reboot

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a kleins butterfly for the exact same reason to get rid of my aiptasia, he did a great job. however after that, he started heavily nipping on my SPS so he is now in the FLOWR. Excited to see the reboot

Thanks cody, yes I plan to remove him because it destroyed my frogspawn but I have seen the peppermints start yanking my frogspawn too. Those guys can be brutal to coral too. I have a red flame hawk that I thought would kill the peppermints but they are still alive. I will just keep an eye out.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear you are back... almost.
Happy about the garden jobs done. Life can be hard to mange being a reefer. Lol

Mr.V is a good and solid supplier. His corals are amazing.

Which KH controller you think of getting?

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be getting a KH controller anytime soon. Its too early for me right now. I want to try and control using my aquariumplants electronic regulator and american marine pinpoint ph controller. Also, added the peristaltic pump so I should be good.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just checking which of the KH controller would have your preference.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been out of the loop on KH controllers. Right before I went missing they were starting to roll the ball with all the KH controllers.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been out of the loop on KH controllers. Right before I went missing they were starting to roll the ball with all the KH controllers.
You have a lot to catch up then.
Great to hear again about you and the tank.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months later...Tank is still running. I have been real bad with updates. I still have the tank, dont fret.

I have added a Copperband Butterfly for Aiptaisa control and it is doing well. It is now fat, healthy and eating PE mysis shrimp, clams, LRS reef frenzy, and Masstick. I think this one will make it.

I had issues with my GEO reactor and bubbles surging inside the chamber which has prevented me from acquiring frags. It turns out I had an air leak at the recirculation pump output so I tightened it up and it appears to be good.

To find the leak, I pressurized my reactor and saw a small leak at the recirc pump. I did this very slowly and cautiously.

So...I am keeping my fingers crossed the bubble surging stops and I can move on to frags. :)

Right now the Geo is set to turn off at 6.99 and on at 7.23 with an effluent rate of 34ml/hr. That is the smallest range I can do with the American Marine Pin Point pH Controller.

I added my first starter frag to test the waters, a bubblegum digitata.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back