Fishy's first reef tank - IM 25 Lagoon

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro zoas are acting so weird. Stretched out but closed; they’re getting more light than previously so that shouldn’t be an issue. Have never noticed nudis near them or any other irritant other than a peppermint shrimp that occasionally walks over them.

IMG_6636.jpeg

On a slightly positive note, torches are opening back up this morning.
IMG_6633.jpeg
Zoas, although hardy, can be finicky and stay closed for days.

OP
OP
Fishy Guy

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big day today, tank has been wet for a whole 2 months! ha

It's been an incredible journey so far - learned a ton, also learned there's still so much to learn.

Lucked into some great mentors (and friends) @kevgib67 @Katrina71; and a ton of new friends @ESABOE @00W @tbrown @Calmwaters @fishguy242 @1ocean @Port City Reefer @Reef Devils @sugar (I'm sure I'm forgetting someone). Just wanted to say thank you for making this experience that much more fun!

How it started
IMG_6246.jpeg

How it's going
IMG_6650.jpeg

Dude! 2 months?!? That looks like an R2R reef of the Month photo already?

And so glad we have all found our way to each other to share something so magical in each of our loves.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the compliment but let's not get ahead of ourselves ha. Hopefully the coralline will start taking off soon and then we'll really be cooking!

Well, your rock design and strategic placement of corals is advanced IMHO. So while a new tank, it’s already heading in that direction.

I had someone create my rock design and it's beautiful, but I struggle with balancing coral placement so it’s best for them but nice for my viewing. I’ve moved stuff around 3 times already.

OP
OP
Fishy Guy

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, your rock design and strategic placement of corals is advanced IMHO. So while a new tank, it’s already heading in that direction.

I had someone create my rock design and it's beautiful, but I struggle with balancing coral placement so it’s best for them but nice for my viewing. I’ve moved stuff around 3 times already.
Kevin really helps me with coral placement; poor guy gets a message every time I come home with something new.

I still don't have anything permanently glued in place because I'm scared ha.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Kevin really helps me with coral placement; poor guy gets a message every time I come home with something new.

I rarely glue my corals. Eventually they glue themselves if they're happy.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You were smart to START with his advice - Kev’s entire tank design is excellent. Unfortunately, I did not do the same and also glued/puttied the H.E.L.L. Out of those frags straight onto my rock scape originally. As I started to move some and re-dip some, I did reattach to small pieces of Marco rubble for some of them in case I had to move again. Total newbie mistakes - Not to mention the real cause of my hastiness - I bought soo many corals during the holiday live sales, I filled 3 frag racks and had no more room but to get them on scape. Again - NEWB.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were smart to START with his advice - Kev’s entire tank design is excellent. Unfortunately, I did not do the same and also glued/puttied the H.E.L.L. Out of those frags straight onto my rock scape originally. As I started to move some and re-dip some, I did reattach to small pieces of Marco rubble for some of them in case I had to move again. Total newbie mistakes - Not to mention the real cause of my hastiness - I bought soo many corals during the holiday live sales, I filled 3 frag racks and had no more room but to get them on scape. Again - NEWB.

And I just realized @tbrown was introducing me to all these live sales like the Pied Piper of Reefdom. So technically….

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 158 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back