Flakes coming out of UV

Those are very likely calcium carbonate deposits that form on the bulb then flake off. You can decrease those by increasing the flow.
 
I think I would put some of those flakes in acid to see if they dissolve, or not. Scale should (?) dissolve? @Randy Holmes-Farley
Good idea. I’d like to see what happens when added to vinegar or citric acid.

Do the pieces fizz?
I sprayed a piece with some white vinegar I had in a spray bottle and there was a tiny bit of fizz on firat contact, but not a lot. Once I get a chance to grab some gloves I'm going to try some citric acid and see what happens.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new