Flame angel as last fish

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys new member and been a fellow reefer for about 2 years now and this is my first time owing an angelfish.

I have a 85 gal tall tank rather than wide with lots of open swimming space but also a lot of rock work. I’ve just added my yellow tang about 3 days ago and he’s already the king of the tank, I should also mention I have a mated pair of clowns, a royal gramma, midas blenny, diamond goby and a mandarin. If I add this little guy after should I be worried about aggression from the tang? Also does the acclimation box in tank really work? As you guys know these two aren’t cheap fish and just want to make the introduction as smooth as possible, thanks in advance!

91329E2F-BA85-4ECC-A594-F6BFD642E4D9.jpeg

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my flame angel 3rd behind my yellow tang and purple tang, the tangs pushed him around for about two days and then the dust settled.
The purple tang nips his fins once in a blue but it's pretty peaceful otherwise
Thanks, how long did you wait between each fish?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found even adding another territorial fish just a day or 2 later will cause some scuffles so I'd go by how it will affect your nitrifying bacteria.
Most suggest waiting a month between additions to allow bacteria to grow, but you could bypass that by adding something such as Dr Tim's or similar products

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO same time with Tang or wait a month....let the King settle, or they both establish same time. I have a YT, long time, added a coral beauty Angel about 6 years ago, then an Eibli Angel a year ago.... they will sort it if given time in my experience. 90 gallon here.....long and short I would NOT do it within a few days to a week....might be too much fire....

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found even adding another territorial fish just a day or 2 later will cause some scuffles so I'd go by how it will affect your nitrifying bacteria.
Most suggest waiting a month between additions to allow bacteria to grow, but you could bypass that by adding something such as Dr Tim's or similar products
I usually wait between 3-4 weeks but perhaps I should give him at least a month to settle in and rule the tank

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my tank 130 gallon with the two tangs, then 2 months later I added the flame angel as well as an algae blenny, 30 days after that I added a mandarin goby.
Those are the only fish in the tank at the 1 year mark. I am patiently waiting for the Hawaiian ban to be lifted as I really want a potters angel.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my tank 130 gallon with the two tangs, then 2 months later I added the flame angel as well as an algae blenny, 30 days after that I added a mandarin goby.
Those are the only fish in the tank at the 1 year mark. I am patiently waiting for the Hawaiian ban to be lifted as I really want a potters angel.
Thanks! beautiful fish, I hope so as well. I’m going to start cycling a 200 gal so I’m pretty excited for the fish I can get for that system

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually wait between 3-4 weeks but perhaps I should give him at least a month to settle in and rule the tank
This is a safe way to allow bacterial colonies to grow. But you may see territorial scuffles ... or not.
It mostly comes down to each fish's temperament and available food.

Feeding heavy for a couple/few days during the new addition may help if you see aggression, but doesn't always work.
Keep in mind both the tang and angel are grazers so 'stuff' may happen.

I've always liked adding new fish after lights out to minimize the 'freak out' and 'fight response' effects

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to recommend Eibli instead (I do love that fish), but it just attacked my 18 year old Damsel a few days ago, and still wants to keep up the fight. I wish I could pull this moody one out and spank it lol.
I like your patience with the adds btw....

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! beautiful fish, I hope so as well. I’m going to start cycling a 200 gal so I’m pretty excited for the fish I can get for that system
200 gallons, that's alot of real estate, have fun filling that. You won't really be limited in options lol

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a safe way to allow bacterial colonies to grow. But you may see territorial scuffles ... or not.

Feeding heavy for a couple/few days during the new addition may help if you see aggression, but doesn't always work.

I've always liked adding new fish after lights out to minimize the 'freak out' and 'fight response' effects
Yes THIS. and dump the lights back to half the daylight level for a few days if possible. 4-5 hrs? The corals will be fine for a short period.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to recommend Eibli instead (I do love that fish), but it just attacked my 18 year old Damsel a few days ago, and still wants to keep up the fight. I wish I could pull this moody one out and spank it lol.
I like your patience with the adds btw....
When I first got in the hobby, I bought way too many and incompatible fish, I never forgot those lessons.
Now I wait for exactly what I want, same with stocking my tank, I can easily go out and buy a bunch of acros, but my tank has about 10 sticks a bunch of zoas and I am patiently waiting to insure they do well before I go crazy. I'll probably stock slow (as long as these do well) over the second year.
I've seen too many folks lose too much because their tanks hadn't matured.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

will do for sure. The flame angels are pretty hard to come by in my town and even when you get lucky and find one they’re over $140 so really hoping this little guy pulls through.

D47F1B2B-8355-4711-AA59-1F05F172D5E2.jpeg

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes THIS. and dump the lights back to half the daylight level for a few days if possible. 4-5 hrs? The corals will be fine for a short period.
I was going to ask about corals since I’ve recently added 2 BTA, torches and a couple of frogspawns so hopefully they won’t be affected

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will check them out and give them an occasional nip. Just ensure he is well fed and there shouldn't be any major issues.
Currently doing 2 feedings per day, mixed different types of shrimp some coral gumbo and pods by Hikari and I usually soak those for 20 min on selcom and garlic guard and then at night I feed TDO soaked in vita-chem. I also put a sheet of nori every other day in the veggie clip

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently doing 2 feedings per day, mixed different types of shrimp some coral gumbo and pods by Hikari and I usually soak those for 20 min on selcom and garlic guard and then at night I feed TDO soaked in vita-chem. I also put a sheet of nori every other day in the veggie clip
Perfect.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 32 42.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back