flame angelfish addition?

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been wanting to add a flame angelfish to my 20gallon for a while waiting for my lfs to get a tiny one. Now they finally have one should I get it?
my tank has a pair of tiny clonfish and a small diamond goby.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been wanting to add a flame angelfish to my 20gallon for a while waiting for my lfs to get a tiny one. Now they finally have one should I get it?
my tank has a pair of tiny clonfish and a small diamond goby.
Not in a 20 gallon I wouldn't. Flame angelfish can outgrow a 20 gallon and require ideally a 75 gallon when fully grown. A 40 breeder would be pushing it. Unless you plan on rehousing him when he gets bigger I wouldn't do it

OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in a 20 gallon I wouldn't. Flame angelfish can outgrow a 20 gallon and require ideally a 75 gallon when fully grown. A 40 breeder would be pushing it. Unless you plan on rehousing him when he gets bigger I wouldn't do it
What about a small coral beauty? would it also outgrow the tank?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a small coral beauty? would it also outgrow the tank?
Pretty much any angelfish or dwarf angel will get to big for a 20 unfortunately.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have corals, don't do it anyways. I was one of those fools that bought a Potter's Angel as my first fish. Had a year of great success, and the fish was super healthy, but he started going after the corals when I received a decent sized shipment. I guess he couldn't resist the new buffet.

I literally had to drain all of my water from the tank to catch him. And now my corals have never been happier.

Angels in a reef tank. Never again.

OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to bring this up again, but I really want the fish and was wondering if I got it for my 20 gallon how long will the flame be comfortable in it?(as in when would I need to put it into another tank) The flame is about 2-3 inches.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to bring this up again, but I really want the fish and was wondering if I got it for my 20 gallon how long will the flame be comfortable in it?(as in when would I need to put it into another tank) The flame is about 2-3 inches.
I'm sorry man but I cannot answer that. It's just a bad idea. I know you really want the fish, but I strongly urge against getting it. Save up, get a bigger tank, and then buy the fish. But possibly another member of #reefsquad may know their growth rate and have an answer for you.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMO you are already maxed out for live stock in the 20. Have you thought of setting up a bigger tank? [emoji12] What better excuse to go bigger? Lol!
I know it’s hard when there is something you really want, but there is a lot of info that would suggest against it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A centropyge (dwarf angel) will not be happy in a 20 gal, in any size. They don’t grow particularly fast but the very small juveniles are very fragile.

If you MUST get a centropyge, a pygmy, flameback, or fireball stay smaller. I still wouldn’t feel right keeping them in a 20 gal, however.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A centropyge (dwarf angel) will not be happy in a 20 gal, in any size. They don’t grow particularly fast but the very small juveniles are very fragile.

If you MUST get a centropyge, a pygmy, flameback, or fireball stay smaller. I still wouldn’t feel right keeping them in a 20 gal, however.

Agreed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back