Flame Cardinalfish

anthony blake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ordered two flame cardinalfish from petco about 2 months ago and started off by qt them. I originally already had one in my main display. I noticed while quarantining the flame cardinal fish, the two were often very aggressive as there was not enough space in my 10 gallon tank. When it was time to put them in the main display tank, I acclimated them and put them in and noticed the original flame fish I had was very aggressive towards the two. A day I removed the original cardinal fish, and let the two find their own territories. To my surprise, they started swimming together and doing the mating dance as they would swim together in a tight circle, and their red coloration would intensify with the male showing its mouth.

I believe it is normal for the flame cardinal fish pair to chase each other every now and then maybe due to circumstances at which they sleep in at night. As the days move on I am starting to notice a courtship between the two. When they start to breed would their larvae be pelagic as one of the pajama cardinal fish or one of the bangaii cardinal fish?

Side note: the mail seems to have more of a tail spot and has dark almost black coloration at the tips of its fins, while the female has more of a deeper red coloration. Hope this helps in identifying a pair of flame Cardinalfish.
IMG_5452.jpeg
IMG_5453.jpeg
IMG_5454.jpeg

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ordered two flame cardinalfish from petco about 2 months ago and started off by qt them. I originally already had one in my main display. I noticed while quarantining the flame cardinal fish, the two were often very aggressive as there was not enough space in my 10 gallon tank. When it was time to put them in the main display tank, I acclimated them and put them in and noticed the original flame fish I had was very aggressive towards the two. A day I removed the original cardinal fish, and let the two find their own territories. To my surprise, they started swimming together and doing the mating dance as they would swim together in a tight circle, and their red coloration would intensify with the male showing its mouth.

I believe it is normal for the flame cardinal fish pair to chase each other every now and then maybe due to circumstances at which they sleep in at night. As the days move on I am starting to notice a courtship between the two. When they start to breed would their larvae be pelagic as one of the pajama cardinal fish or one of the bangaii cardinal fish?

Side note: the mail seems to have more of a tail spot and has dark almost black coloration at the tips of its fins, while the female has more of a deeper red coloration. Hope this helps in identifying a pair of flame Cardinalfish.
IMG_5452.jpeg
IMG_5453.jpeg
IMG_5454.jpeg
Nice awesome!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back