Flame hawk in reef tank?

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi. Does anyone have any experience with a small Flame Hawkfish in a reef tank with corals and inverts. I have 3 peppermint shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, 1 banded coral shrimp. Will they be ok since the shrimp were added first? I'd like to hear your stories!

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost our Longnose hawkfish after 5 years. We had the long nose and a flame hawkfish in the same tank for a year-and-a-half.
Took a while to find the right combination of Longnose hawkfish and Flame Hawkfish. Several went back to the LFS.

Both the long nose hawkfish and the flame hawkfish are/were fine with the cleaner shrimp and the blood red fire shrimp.
Make sure the shrimp have plenty of hiding holes for when they are molting.

I don't do peppermint shrimp because they are so small in comparison to the fish and I don't want him getting started with the small stuff and moving on to the $40 big stuff.

Always heard the coral banded shrimp was a problem child so I never tried one.
Do you have any issues with him attacking your other shrimp?

Just thinking about it since you brought the subject up.
Both the fire shrimp and the cleaner shrimp were out and about a lot more (still not that much) when we just had the long nose hawkfish.
Now they only come out for feeding.

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Longnose Hawk as well, I have to say this is the most personable small fish I have ever had. He does perch and pose like he is gonna dive bomb a hermit or snail , but so far I haven't seen him actually do it . It's pretty entertaining as he waggles his tail like a cat getting ready to pounce. We also have a large Blood shrimp that is just way to big for him to mess with. I will say all he is interested in eating is mysis shrimp. He has no interest in the pellets or live baby brine shrimp I feed the tank. The Cardinals and Firefish love the BBS..

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a long nose that's been through a few of my tanks for 5 or so years. Very cool fish but by far the most aggressive fish in my tank. He makes it a pain to add a new fish, usually have to go lights out for a day so the settle in. After that no problem.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame hawk with a mixed reef. Cleaner shrimp, emerald crabs, hermits. It is ok with everything so far. I dont know how a peppermint would fare though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back