Flame Hawk Small Fish Predation

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a Flame Hawk to my tank, but have recently also added a baby Multibar angel that is about 1" in size. Will the hawkfish go after smaller fish for food?

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the tiny mulit-bar- They are neat fish. Very mellow, shy, and finicky eaters. I hope your tank is mature with lots of food for it to forage for.

Yes, Hawkfish will eat small fish. But it eat them whole. Things like eviota gobies, Green bar gobies, blue stripe goby, gold stripe goby - Long skinny fish it can gulp down it will eat.

But your multi-bar should be much more than a mouthful. And you should be fine!

Pending the size of your tank, if you have room, and can source a similar sized Multi-bar. In my experience with them, they easily pair up with others. I have not ever had success in keeping them in 3,5,6 together. But in twos they get along fine, and are a joy to watch picking across the rock work together. I always likes the Multi-bar beause to me it was the Poor-Man's peppermint angel.

Good Luck with your new baby.

Dave B

OP
OP
E

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the tiny mulit-bar- They are neat fish. Very mellow, shy, and finicky eaters. I hope your tank is mature with lots of food for it to forage for.

Yes, Hawkfish will eat small fish. But it eat them whole. Things like eviota gobies, Green bar gobies, blue stripe goby, gold stripe goby - Long skinny fish it can gulp down it will eat.

But your multi-bar should be much more than a mouthful. And you should be fine!

Pending the size of your tank, if you have room, and can source a similar sized Multi-bar. In my experience with them, they easily pair up with others. I have not ever had success in keeping them in 3,5,6 together. But in twos they get along fine, and are a joy to watch picking across the rock work together. I always likes the Multi-bar beause to me it was the Poor-Man's peppermint angel.

Good Luck with your new baby.

Dave B
Thanks! I got lucky with catching Biota at the right time to get one of their captive bred ones. Have had him for a little over a month now and he has plenty to snack on plus eats with my other fish (I also feed the Reef Masstick recommended by Biota which he loves). I didn't know you could pair them, I will definitely consider an additional one. I have a 75 gallon tank so not sure if two is to many for that size. Also good to know that the flame hawk won't take interest in it. Appreciate the help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back