Flame Hawkfish Breathing Heavy and Not Eating

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I had velvet in my tank. My hawkfish was in bad shape and layed on his side in QT for 3 days before starting to look better. It was over a week before he ate. Since then he has really bounced back and was eating aggressively and looking good ever since. The hawkfish, clown pair, royal Gramma and firefish went through 30 days of copper and then spent 3 weeks med free before dosing prazi just in case. That was 1 week ago. Now 2 days ago the hawkfish stopped eating and has been huddled against the side of the aquarium. He looks ok but is not moving around like normal. His breathing is very fast. I would be really bumbed to loose him now after all this. All other fish look good.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E06BBE68-81C2-41E5-9CBF-6E8FF9B74508.jpeg

I’ll post a video once I figure it out.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wait that looks like it is still in qt. Is there a chance the copper level dipped below therapeutic levels in the 4 weeks of treatment?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are prazi resistant flukes. Consider a freshwater dip to eliminate the possibility. Remember to use a dark colored bowl/bucket so you can easily see the flukes as they drop off.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are prazi resistant flukes. Consider a freshwater dip to eliminate the possibility. Remember to use a dark colored bowl/bucket so you can easily see the flukes as they drop off.

Ammonia badge is clear?

Are you areating heavily at the surface with a powerhead? Praziquantel pulls a significant amount of oxygen from the water.

These questions would be my own!

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try a dip to see what I find. Haven’t had any signs of flukes previously but you never know.

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth trying a second round of prazi or should I try the dip first?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the fish behave after the dip? A freshwater dip usually provides a temporary relief for flukes and velvet. So how was its breathing after the dip?

Jen_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One morning I was about to leave for work and my hawkfish was laying on its side breathing hard. I couldn’t be late for work and feared the worse when I got home. To my surprise he was still alive. I immediately put him in a bucket with an air stone and heater. I also added furan 2. By the next morning he was looking a lot better and active again. He made a 100% recovery. So whenever I have a sick fish with no physical symptoms I always treat with furan 2. Just to rule out a bacterial infection.

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the fish behave after the dip? A freshwater dip usually provides a temporary relief for flukes and velvet. So how was its breathing after the dip?

I didn’t notice any change. Still hugging the side of the tank and breathing heavy like the video I posted.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t notice any change. Still hugging the side of the tank and breathing heavy like the video I posted.
So we've probably eliminated flukes, velvet, etc. as the fish usually shows signs of relief after the dip. Yep, a wide spectrum antibiotic would be my next move: Kanaplex, Furan2, Sulfaplex, NFG (nitrofuracine green).

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we've probably eliminated flukes, velvet, etc. as the fish usually shows signs of relief after the dip. Yep, a wide spectrum antibiotic would be my next move: Kanaplex, Furan2, Sulfaplex, NFG (nitrofuracine green).
NFG is best, IMO! That stuff is magic!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back