Flame Hawkfish swimming out of balance

Europa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased a flame hawkfish last week (arrived on 02/07) and 3 days later it started swimming really awkwardly -- it goes to the surface, swims backwards and upside down. I have never had this fish, but I'm assuming this is not it's normal behavior. I have a video of him here in the QT tank: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2RjBA1EyDaECUAk89

Could anyone let me know (1) if this is normal, and (2) if not, is it some kind of disease, and if so, how do I treat it?

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not normal, don’t know the cause but could be one or combo of things, I’m sure others will chime in….the swimming pattern looks disoriented and partially uncontrolled and he seems to be swimming into the flow towards the surface

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased a flame hawkfish last week (arrived on 02/07) and 3 days later it started swimming really awkwardly -- it goes to the surface, swims backwards and upside down. I have never had this fish, but I'm assuming this is not it's normal behavior. I have a video of him here in the QT tank: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2RjBA1EyDaECUAk89

Could anyone let me know (1) if this is normal, and (2) if not, is it some kind of disease, and if so, how do I treat it?
You're correct, this behavior is not normal. I fear it may be swim bladder related.
Perhaps @Jay Hemdal or @vetteguy53081 can provide some diagnostic/treatment advice.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm … I don't think that flame fish have swim bladders … why they "perch" so often. Someone with more expertise will clarify this I'm sure. Wild caught sometimes suffer from the cyanide poisoning if not from a reputable fish source.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This sounds like a buoyancy issue and will suggest internal parasite or other issue
Assuming it’s eating, you can give it metroplex and focus to bind it to food, both products by Seachem

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm … I don't think that flame fish have swim bladders … why they "perch" so often. Someone with more expertise will clarify this I'm sure. Wild caught sometimes suffer from the cyanide poisoning if not from a reputable fish source.
Didn't know that. Learn something every day.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No swim bladder led to the death of mine, had a long tentacle plate nuke a tank, all the free swimmers hung out at the top in the pumps and weren’t doing well, while the hawk couldn’t stay up there… then emergency protocols were taken and the rest saved

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a flame hawk and yes they do perch they dont really swim in open water but that fish looks like somethings off with it

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love me some Flame Hawks - Correct they lack a swim bladder so their swimming behavior is certainly different from most fish however this vertical struggling is very unusual. Are you using an airstone? He looks as if he is needing oxygen. If not I suggest that immediately in addition to the filter. Are you treating the tank with anything?

His normal behavior would be to perch and watch everything they actually do very little swimming except for dinner time and to move to the next spot/protect their home. I've never had to treat one so that's best left for the medical folks but good luck.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back