Flaming Mohicans Morphing

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Since I'm bored at worked I decided to post this question that I have been thinking about for awhile.

I purchased 3 polyps of Flaming Mohicans about 4 months ago. When I first got them there was much more red in the center and it was more prominent. Now, the red has receded a bit, and it more "speckled" with the green coming out a little more. What exact parameter/element/chemical/thing in the water can cause this? Below are two pics, showing before and after of the same colony about 4 months apart. They're still just as beautiful, if not more.

Thanks!
1.png
2.jpg

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm not certain its a parameter/element/chemical thing exactly as I experienced the same thing with my Flaming Mohicans. When I got my first polyp it was almost entirely red and you wouldn't have known it was a Mohican just by looking at it. It took about 4-5 months to get happy and reach full adult size at which point the green started developing around the edge and the red receded a bit towards the center. I would suspect that perhaps, like hallucinations, they only develop their color as they get larger except for the fact that the baby I just got looks like the adult.

IMG_2065.jpg

Your colony looks truly beautiful (excellent photograph too).

I'm curious to hear what others think and have experienced with this strain.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back