Flatworm Exist Question

Yang’s Blue Paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I found red planaria flatworms in my coral QT tank today. It was 3 small ones since then I sucked them out. I added 2 frag from the QT to my main DT yesterday. I took them out today and dipped them didn't find any flatworm coming out. I'm still afraid that there might be eggs around and the dip that didn't get them.

My question is should I use flatworm exist even if I might not have any in my DT?

would it harm anything if I don't do a water change after dosing it? Are the water change and running carbon only used for getting rid of the toxins in the flatworms?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The toxins in the planaria are not joke, but the medication can harm starfish and other inverts too. Some say that it stuns then and others say death.

I would not treat until you see some in your display, but I would jump right on it if you do. The treatment is much easier if there are less toxins.

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that planaria medication will kill many of the inverts in your tanks. If you can remove them and put them in a qt tank for a few days and then do a light gravel vac + a few water changes it should be good

OP
OP
Yang’s Blue Paradise

Yang’s Blue Paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The toxins in the planaria are not joke, but the medication can harm starfish and other inverts too. Some say that it stuns then and others say death.

I would not treat until you see some in your display, but I would jump right on it if you do. The treatment is much easier if there are less toxins.
The main reason why I'm jumping right on it is because there isn't any that I see in the main DT but in case some are hiding most likely not many. Doing a preemptive dose will probably make sure nothing grows. I don't have starfish just a few snails and a sea urchin.

OP
OP
Yang’s Blue Paradise

Yang’s Blue Paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you not just do what the directions say?

It seems like all of the people that have problems with this product did not read the directions carefully and went off and did their own thing...
I asked why we needed to water change and run carbon is due to answer my curiosity of whether the medication is toxic or the toxin from Planeria is the reason why you need to do both. I don't have any I see on my main DT. If I do the treatment and don't see any, is there a reason to do both? I already do 20% water change weekly so it ain't that big of a deal.

OP
OP
Yang’s Blue Paradise

Yang’s Blue Paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that planaria medication will kill many of the inverts in your tanks. If you can remove them and put them in a qt tank for a few days and then do a light gravel vac + a few water changes it should be good
well, my coral qt got the planaria and I'm qting inverts there. So they might die. I haven't read specifically the treatment killing the inverts. is the toxin from the planaria does.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back