Flatworm help

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These little guys showed up on the front glass today, never seen these flatworms before.
My tank had the red flatworms before on my euyphillia, but I dipped and they disappeared. It’s just these look a bit different than the ones I had before or maybe that’s how they look when they are little? I have two wrasses that don’t seem to eat any flatworms and I dose flatworm stop by KZ daily. Should I be concerned?

IMG_0903.jpeg IMG_0905.jpeg IMG_0906.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These little guys showed up on the front glass today, never seen these flatworms before.
My tank had the red flatworms before on my euyphillia, but I dipped and they disappeared. It’s just these look a bit different than the ones I had before or maybe that’s how they look when they are little? I have two wrasses that don’t seem to eat any flatworms and I dose flatworm stop by KZ daily. Should I be concerned?

IMG_0903.jpeg IMG_0905.jpeg IMG_0906.jpeg
These are acoel flatworms and not as harmful as red planaria. You can siphon them with a 3/8” tube and discard. If many, a yellow, lunare or melanurus wrasse will eat them as well as a springieri damsel
Next 2 weeks, keep your eyes open for eggs which are very tiny

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah cause red planaria has 3 tail endings right compared to these which only have 2

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will 6 line wrasse eat these bc mine doesnt seem interested. Using flatworm exit on my frag tank, how often can I use it, first dose didnt do the trick.

OP
OP
Gyarados

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bejeweled damsel pick on them, the wrasses didn’t bother for some reason.
But definitely flatworm exit will nuke them (or at least was my case).

OP
OP
Gyarados

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did regular dose work for you? these flatworms seem to be nuke proof.
I used the whole Salifert Exit (one that says it treats up to 300g) in my 180g tank.
But I additionally dose flatworm stop by KZ,
even though I don’t see any flatworms anymore. The corals seem to love that product a lot.
I know Salifert Exit doesn’t affect the eggs; maybe you nuked the flatworms and eggs just hatched?
Try to only use skimmer when using Exit, I know activated carbon will soak that product in.
When I used Exit I could see the flatworms detaching and floating away with 15 min.
Just be mindful of the flatworms die-off toxin.

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the whole Salifert Exit (one that says it treats up to 300g) in my 180g tank.
But I additionally dose flatworm stop by KZ,
even though I don’t see any flatworms anymore. The corals seem to love that product a lot.
I know Salifert Exit doesn’t affect the eggs; maybe you nuked the flatworms and eggs just hatched?
Try to only use skimmer when using Exit, I know activated carbon will soak that product in.
When I used Exit I could see the flatworms detaching and floating away with 15 min.
Just be mindful of the flatworms die-off toxin.
Does the toxin affect coral?

OP
OP
Gyarados

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk about coral, but from what I heard invertebrates are the most sensitive to that toxin.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those kinda look like what are commonly called ghost flat worms. They're pretty much harmless unless they are found in titantic hordes lol.

If your wrasses arent munchin em i had a pair of pep shrimp that decieded they loved flat worms more then aptasia... all things considered not a bad deal haha

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back