Flatworm toxicity to corals (FlatwormExit)?

jetson

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 22, 2025
Messages
17
Reaction score
3
Location
Wichita
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read in several places about flatworm toxicity when using FlatwormExit. What I have not seen is if the toxicity is strictly for fish, or if it may affect corals. If it makes any difference, corals are mostly sps, with a few lps.
I plan to try using it, but like to understand risks before adding anything new to my tanks.
Google really isn’t any help here so hopefully someone here can help.
 
I suspect fish. @Randy Holmes-Farley may have specific information. Google says both:

Mass Die-Off Danger: A few dead flatworms are usually fine, but a massive sudden kill in a closed aquarium system can rapidly poison the water, stressing or killing fish and irritating corals to death. [1, 2, 3]
 
It might depend on which flatworms you're treating. For Heterochaerus (a common and harmless acoel) and Amphiscolops (often called "ghost flatworm"), I'm not even sure they produce very potent toxins at all.

Convolutriloba, on the other hand, is a different story. I'm reasonably sure its nasty stuff affects pretty much everything in our tanks. Reports about dangerous toxins after flatworm treatments frequently mention Convolutriloba, and the species descriptions mention something I've observed myself as well: when a section of the flatworm is squished under the microscope and a bit of its toxic mucus is released, pretty much everything on the slide starts to disintegrate within minutes. It's astonishingly fast and even affects the flatworm itself.
 
My corals were fine but the ones that were struggling didn't make it. May have been from low nutrients due to all the sudden water changes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new