Flatworms (?) invading copepod culture.

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I found these bugs in my pods vessel. Any suggestion for starting over? I was thinking about some product against planarians..would that kill copepods too?anyone had this before?
IMG-20220824-WA0007.jpg

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I looked better under microscope and it looks like I have some kind of Ciliata infestation in my pods vessels. Anyone experienced this before?
Hi all. I found these bugs in my pods vessel. Any suggestion for starting over? I was thinking about some product against planarians..would that kill copepods too?anyone had this before?
IMG-20220824-WA0007.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often see rotifers and ciliates. Once I had hydroids (I think). But I've never seen that particular organism.

I would try and isolate enough copepods to restart the culture. It looks rather large, perhaps you could filter it out?

Sometimes it's easier (and cheaper) just to bleach everything and buy a new starter.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often see rotifers and ciliates. Once I had hydroids (I think). But I've never seen that particular organism.

I would try and isolate enough copepods to restart the culture. It looks rather large, perhaps you could filter it out?

Sometimes it's easier (and cheaper) just to bleach everything and buy a new starter.
I fortunately have another batch of pods which do not seem affected, which I can use for starting back. The source of contamination was probably the water from WCs I used.
I cannot think how to separate them from each other, as they have rather a similar size. Probably I will just move them to another container and keep for observation... Maybe we find out they are a good live food or something.. i know they use paramecium as food for shrimp larvae

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fortunately have another batch of pods which do not seem affected, which I can use for starting back. The source of contamination was probably the water from WCs I used.
I cannot think how to separate them from each other, as they have rather a similar size. Probably I will just move them to another container and keep for observation... Maybe we find out they are a good live food or something.. i know they use paramecium as food for shrimp larvae
Great, it's best to have multiple cultures going just in case something like this happens. I doubt there's much risk feeding them to your reef. We have all sorts of micro-organisms in our tanks.

I understand if you want to keep some for experimentation, but beware...keeping them around means you have a potential vector for contamination. I keep rotifers and copepods, and so I regularly find rotifers in my copepod cultures, which hurts yield.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back