Flatworms n Coral QT... came in in leather coral

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I recently got a large leather coral, and almost immediately got hit with a bacterial bloomthat took 11 days to clear. Tank cleared up to reveal hundreds of small flatworms on the glass. This was almost 10 days ago

no acro in the tank, so assuming if they were AEFW they would have starved out by now.

Any ideas? Biggest are 3-4mm, lots of tiny ones. I did dip the leather- assuming these came in as eggs.
3517ACA4-CBDF-4197-B725-DC6CB0D90419.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are the nuisance acoel type.
First defense is to siphon up as many as possible. this is one that a lunare and melanurus wrasse will eat.
Many resort to chemical treatment with flatworm stop BUT again siphon then upon treatment siphon up dead ones daily. IF not, toxins can be released into tank

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the nuisance acoel type.
First defense is to siphon up as many as possible. this is one that a lunare and melanurus wrasse will eat.
Many resort to chemical treatment with flatworm stop BUT again siphon then upon treatment siphon up dead ones daily. IF not, toxins can be released into tank

I hadn’t realized there were nuisance acoel types? Are they predatory, or more unsightly if they hit high population density?

this is a coralQT, so no fish. I’ve also been reading chemical treatments are largely ineffective because of the reproduction rate and how fast they can bounce back if even a few survive

Uugghh

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I hadn’t realized there were nuisance acoel types? Are they predatory, or more unsightly if they hit high population density?

this is a coralQT, so no fish. I’ve also been readingchemical treatments are largely in effective decades of the reproduction rate and how fast they can bounce back if even a few survive

Uugghh
Population issue. They reproduce quickly and congregate on corals

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Population issue. They reproduce quickly and congregate on corals

thanks

So annoying. Ok, I don’t think they are at smothering levels. I can freshwater (Temp and ph matched RODI ok for this?) dip my coral and take a toothbrush to them right before I transfer to Display, and plan on a wrasse for control if any get into Display.

Any idea if mandarins or flasher wrasses eat these guys? They are already on the list

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
thanks

So annoying. Ok, I don’t think they are at smothering levels. I can freshwater (Temp and ph matched RODI ok for this?) dip my coral and take a toothbrush to them right before I transfer to Display, and plan on a wrasse for control if any get into Display.

Any idea if mandarins or flasher wrasses eat these guys? They are already on the list
Flasher may, freshwater has no effect and continue with wrasse as there will likely be eggs left somewhere by the flatworms

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 78 76.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back