Fleece Roller when Cycling Tank

BetterJake

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 1, 2022
Messages
518
Reaction score
1,066
Location
Charlotte
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning to disconnect my ReefMat during the cycle and reboot of my tank, not because of concerns around bacteria (I don’t believe the fleece roller impacts that), but more so due to how effective it was in my previous setup. The water was too clean, which I suspect contributed to a Dino outbreak and stripping the water clean and leading to other issues as well.

So this time, I’m thinking of leaving it offline until nitrates and phosphates hit detectable levels, something like 10 ppm nitrate and 0.01 ppm phosphate, give or take. Curious to hear your thoughts on that approach.
 
I was having a similar issue with my setup. But I did want some detritus removal so what I did is tee’d the input to the fleece roller so not everything goes through it. It’s made the rolls last longer and has kept nutrients where I want them, nitrates at 25 and phos at .1-.2 I can send you a picture if you want when I get home.
 
I’m planning to disconnect my ReefMat during the cycle and reboot of my tank, not because of concerns around bacteria (I don’t believe the fleece roller impacts that), but more so due to how effective it was in my previous setup. The water was too clean, which I suspect contributed to a Dino outbreak and stripping the water clean and leading to other issues as well.

So this time, I’m thinking of leaving it offline until nitrates and phosphates hit detectable levels, something like 10 ppm nitrate and 0.01 ppm phosphate, give or take. Curious to hear your thoughts on that approach.
I also think this is a good plan, but I would personally be aiming for higher phosphates. .06-.2.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new