flexible? drain/return pipe design

Yme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dear all,

For my new tank I am now thinking on the best design for the pipes connecting to the sump.

I read the following thread and I really like the design of the Melev's reverse check valve. I would like to copy it :)

134-Gallon Cube Build

However, would the inclusion of a hole just below the waterline be a good redundant mechanism to prevent back syphoning? In general, I do not like a single point of faillure mechanism. I think the hole will not interfere with proper functioning of the Melev's reverse check valve, but I wanted to check.

A second point I would like some help with is the rigid PVC pipes that you normally use for the pipes. As you can see in attached picture, the tank can be accessed from the back side and has an overflow chamber along the complete backside of the tank. So I will need to reach over the pvc pipes to go into the tank. Being rather clumsy, I can myself easily imagine bumping into the pvc pipes. This then causes pressure on the bulkheads, which in a very bad situation might break something and causes leakage. So I would rather prevent this. One option I thought of is to make (part of) the tube from flexible pvc that you can still glue to the normal rigid pvc. The flexible pvc should then absorb the pressure.
I would like to ask whether this is a good idea, or whether there are other and better options?

51420322790_f625e0699a_b.jpg

thanks,

Yme

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Known as a siphon break is very safe

Back