Where to buy replacement Durso standpipe

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We finished building the framework of a DIY hex stand to add more space beneath (height and depth) for a 92g corner. Next is bulkhead work. I used the existing drain pipe with water side bulk head, added a new gasket and used a new nut, so far no drips. I did the same with the durso drain pipe but not as lucky, pretty consistent drip and hard to tighten more by hand; don't want to crack the glass. I'm guessing I'm going to have to just redo the entire bulkhead. Is there a place to buy new durso standpipes or can I just hack off where the bulk head is and pvc glue a new one there? This is likely the original from this aqueon 92g so I'm not sure how much room I have to hack off and still have it at the appropriate height. FWIW i've checked amazon, brs etc. Unless I'm using a poor keyword choice I didn't see any. Any better drain options, just a 1inch and 3/4inch hole.

Thanks!

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the overflow with the bulkhead? Having a hard time picturing exactly what you are describing. You could make your own durso standpipe they’re super easy to build with pvc. From what you said it sounds like the existing durso is glued into the bulkhead fitting?

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the overflow with the bulkhead? Having a hard time picturing exactly what you are describing. You could make your own durso standpipe they’re super easy to build with pvc. From what you said it sounds like the existing durso is glued into the bulkhead fitting?
Not the best pics but too tired to remove the bulkheads/pipes. Spent all day building it stands. I can get others if needed tomorrow.

Think it might be better to go herbie and bring return line over the side. The only issue is it’s a corner tank and stand is oversized for extra space so it’s a pita unless I have a ladder to see back there.

Attachments

• IMG_6018.jpeg
    IMG_6018.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6017.jpeg
    IMG_6017.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6014.jpeg
    IMG_6014.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 18

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this will help

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pics but too tired to remove the bulkheads/pipes. Spent all day building it stands. I can get others if needed tomorrow.

Think it might be better to go herbie and bring return line over the side. The only issue is it’s a corner tank and stand is oversized for extra space so it’s a pita unless I have a ladder to see back there.
Looking at the picks and seeing the two bulkheads I would absolutely go with the herbie like you said. Be sure to use the smaller pipe/bulkhead for your full siphon drain. I had a durso on my 180 gallon before I upgraded to my 360. It was always loud to a degree no matter how I tweaked it. The 360 has two herbie drains on it and I’ll never go back lol.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a video on you tube where a guy converts a marineland mega flow tank to a herbie and runs the return over the rim of the tank and really like how he did it. Might be worth checking out. I’ll try to post a link if I can find it but it will pop up if you search megaflow to full siphon.

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a video on you tube where a guy converts a marineland mega flow tank to a herbie and runs the return over the rim of the tank and really like how he did it. Might be worth checking out. I’ll try to post a link if I can find it but it will pop up if you search megaflow to full siphon.
Thanks! I’ll take a look and see if I can find it. Definitely think that’s the direction I’m going. Will go look for plumbing today.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back