Flipper or Tunze Care Magnet?

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both. I like my tunze but find myself using the flipper because it's easier to grip
Exactly my gripe as well. I also find that when you flip over a a corner, the blades sometimes drop off and a real pain if it falls underneath rocks. But still by far the best scraper I have owned.

josh.j.avila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest selling point is it won't tear through your silicone at the corners.

I'm going to swap out my flipper for my tunze again.

Goby-won

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze - I have the big one for my 120G. It is awesome. Just beware - if you have black sand...it is magnetic and will get stuck to any scrapper if you drop it in the sand.

sinekal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the flipper scratch your glass? I have been using one a few months now with no problem, but I must admit I'm not sure I'm as careful as I was with my mag cleaners since I didn't think sand could get caught when using the blade side. Scratching glass is one of my biggest fears, right up there with mountain lions, and a weekend cabin trip with my girlfriends parents, so any advice on how to avoid would be much appreciated.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand can roll between the pad and glass. All it takes is one grain getting stuck in the wrong place. FYI DFS has a 25% off today so if you want a new magnetic scraper this is a great time to do it.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the flipper and I swear it's scratched the tank up something fierce after a couple years. I never use the pad side so it's got to be the blade. I never use it any way other than intended but if I look at the blade it is a little wavy with the corners protruding a little. I can't say 100% it's to blame but I know for sure it's not even pressure across the surface when used.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the flipper and I swear it's scratched the tank up something fierce after a couple years. I never use the pad side so it's got to be the blade. I never use it any way other than intended but if I look at the blade it is a little wavy with the corners protruding a little. I can't say 100% it's to blame but I know for sure it's not even pressure across the surface when used.

Did you ever replace the blade. Flipper says to every 6mnths

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you ever replace the blade. Flipper says to every 6mnths
Yep a few times over the years. Seems to always happen eventually. Maybe the buildup on the glass or the silicon in the corners catches it? Not sure.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you need to inspect it often. If the blade is bent it could scratch.

Those that use the Tunze, how the heck do you keep the blades on the dang thing. Several times a week one comes off when I'm turning a corner. It's infuriating to have to go get a towel and fish the blade out. I love it when it works but that problem alone has me using my Flipper more often.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back